What did you buy that you absolutely loved?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Sherwood Oasis, Pro-QD BCD, HP100 tank(s), SK7 compass, Apollo Split Fins, and my 7mm farmer john wetsuit! Probably in that order.

DrDaddy

Desprite having only just bought a compact camera + ikelite case set, I bought a used wide-angle lens because someone was selling one cheap. WOW. It makes it too easy to take really nice uw photos.

Loved diving dry.
Loved the way a twinset feels in comparison to 1 big tank.
Loved the power of a canister light.
Goodman handle/light sock: Loved having warm fingers once again because I didn't have to hang hold onto my light all through the dive.
Love spring straps on my fins.
Love a bungee on my compass - love not having lost another compass ;-)
Love having a station wagon instead of a sedan to carry gear and in which to get geared up.

Most of all I love the results of having bought dive training & gear for my daughter.

The 3 things I can't see me replacing is my Aqualung Titan LX Reg, Seaquest Pro QD BC, and Aqualung Super Rocket Fins. I guess I'd actually have to add my Mares i3 Liquidskin mask since that's the only one in a 3 county area that doesn't leak on me... but I'm not in love with it, except for utility purposes lol

So I saw the what did you regret buying thread, but what about the flip side? What was the best gear investment that you ever made?

In recent years, perhaps my Atomic Frameless mask.

N

Some of my old gear that's over a quarter-century old has proved to be a worthwhile investment. My old steel cylinders (born in '68 and '74), my old Jet fins, my old Power Plana fins are all good examples. Good, solid gear that's stood the test of time. Hell, I even have my first snorkel.

Lately, my best purchases are: A pair of $25 spring straps for my fins and an $8 used dive tool (to replace a lost one) from my favorite dive shop's bargain bin, a Parker BC with some other guy's name written on it in Sharpie that I got off craigslist for $30, and a $5 pair of US Divers heeled fins from Goodwill. The heeled fins are perfect for skin diving, for warm water diving, and for loaners. Just yesterday, I gave a pal a snorkel and mask to encourage his skin diving and to see if his interest in SCUBA grows.

Diving doesn't have to be only a "rich man's" sport. I've gotten many years of enjoyment for what turned out to be a nominal investment. As a matter of fact, I'm off to get wet right now.

My most recent favourite bit of kit is the spring straps for my fins

HP 3442 Steel 100 - I now have 4 of them.

Why did I ever buy those 3 HP 3442 Steel 80s?

Why did I ever buy those 3 aluminum 80s?

No, I'm not going to buy any Steel 119 or 120s - tried them and just too big. Steel 100s are just perfect for my diving.

Why these tanks? - I live further away from ESDS (dive shop) than the Pacific Ocean :) !!! I can dive all day/weekend and worry about getting my fill later. And if I must, I can always use the steel and aluminum 80s (which my son and dive buddy like?). P.S. The shop at the Coast is probably going to stay around and likely to be reliable, but even then, when going Puget Sound/Hoodsport Diving there isn't always a close fill.

Back
Top Bottom