What Defines a "Tech" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always viewed tech. diving as below 130 feet, planned deco, and usually using Trimix of some blend or another (not my interest).

The popular use of the term technical diving can be traced back to the cover story of the first issue of "aquaCorps" magazine (1991 through 1995), in early 1990, titled call it "High-Tech" Diving by Bill Hamilton, describing the current state of recreational diving beyond the generally accepted limits, such as, deep, ...

Before that, it was just another recreational dive, other than being rather specialized, which it actually is now.

Vale Dr Bill Hamilton

I dive with some really cool tech divers, sitting in their cool groups, of 2 or 3, each group
too cool to communicate their plans to each other or to plan to stagger their jump times

so as not to end up clumped together, ten of them fighting for two metres of anchor line

all the way up

and I love it when they all look at each other and play who's going up to the next stop first

148 waypoints (1) (1).jpg

That dive is now a technical dive, if you do it unplanned and without proper training, you're an idiot.
Point is that here in Europe we use to train rec divers to plan and execute dives with some deco stops.
Each organization or commercial agency defines the boundary between recreational and technical differently.
Just note this: I am a NOT a technical diver nor a technical instructor. My first OW license, indeed, certifies me for using the ARO (CC pure-oxygen rebreather) to a max depth of 10 meters.
Using CC rebreathers is now considered "tech" by most agencies, and still my first CMAS-FIPSAS certification, purely recreational, was allowing me to dive with a CC rebreather.

My original "Scuba Diver" certification (1988 - YMCA) included how to plan a decompression dive.... Not that I would have considered attempting one, or a dive in excess of the recreational limits in the early stages of my diving.

Much later I did take classes for the topic of "technical diving" certification.

Accelerated DECO was really the defining line to my "technical diving" knowledge base, but certifications are quite different now vs. then...

Lots of answers and only a few are right.

I define Tech Diving for my students as anything that exceeds recreational limits AND requires additional training/skills. So, you can tech dive a 60-foot reef if you exceed your NDL and have to do a staged decompression.

2Kt current and 6" vis in 30' with numerous entanglement hazards count?
Otherwise anyone wearing a Zeagle Ranger or BWOD and all black gear.
Anything unpaid is recreational.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom