What Defines a "Tech" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@NW Dive Dawg

Seriously, man…you’ve been on SB for 17 years, you’re a DM and you’re asking this question?

This is like that kid in HS who is 20 years old…knows some stuff but obviously not enough to graduate, awkward circle of friends, kinda scary to most kids.

I think you should get off the internet (it doesn’t seem to be an effective method of learning) and go to a reputable dive shop to get some formal training.

@NW Dive Dawg

Seriously, man…you’ve been on SB for 17 years, you’re a DM and you’re asking this question?

This is like that kid in HS who is 20 years old…knows some stuff but obviously not enough to graduate, awkward circle of friends, kinda scary to most kids.

I think you should get off the internet (it doesn’t seem to be an effective method of learning) and go to a reputable dive shop to get some formal training.
I most definitely am asking this question...... and I also asked it respectfully and without attacking or insulting anyone. Yes, I am a retired DM and Instructor.

You on the other hand are obviously the kid in HS who just attacks rather than intelligently responding....... and probably because it's just easier because you have no intelligent response.

And for the record........ you started this BS......not me.

I think the emergence of the tech-lite classes are instructive. There is a separate category between them that divides them.

Rec-trimix, Tech-40, Deco-40. Which are mostly single gas, primarily limited back gas deco. Something our European friends call just rec diving. Some with a bit of 50% O2 for conservatism. As distinct from the full tech of AN/DP. You're not as deep into an overhead as full tech. For tech lite, if you are doing 10 minutes of back gas deco, and got there an a single tank with adequate reserves, a recreational rig can still hold the gas you need.You do not have nearly the tank load out (and the need for a sturdy framework to hold all those tanks).

But it is a different animal than AN/DP.

RAID: "The Deco 40 program is aimed squarely at the recreational market and not at the technical market"h

I don't think my 20' 40 minute dive has any tech to it.

To me tech is anything that exceeds recreational diving established limits.

So decompression or depth over 130 or overhead environment.

Also Nitrox over 40% and any trimix.
This is the simple -- and highly agreed --definition. The fact that some agencies, countries, or divers don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. All the efforts going into finding names and courses and training to make the dividing line less scary or less rigid are just arguing details.

I think one definition is that you have an overhead whether it is virtual (decompression) or physical (cave/wreck).

It is a bit blurry in Europe if you do club diving as people do decompression routinely (with BSAC and CMAS)

Some context might be the OPs other thread about back-inflate-vs-bpw and a recent question there of whether certain all-in-one back inflate BCs are tech BCs or suited for tech dives.

So one might wonder how simple a tech dive might be, and if whatever you wore for it was a "tech" BC. Whatever that might be.

You can do limited back gas deco or dive under a pier with the lightest possible rec. BC. That doesn't make it a tech BC.

So a distinction between tech-lite and full tech is useful for talking about the gear, not just the dives.

A BC suited for rec or light tech-lite might not be suited for full doubles, a stage, and two deco bottles. For which you might need a different type of gear, lest you cause the boat captain to worry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom