What Defines a "Tech" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So just curious as to what folks think either defines or qualifies someone as a "Tech" diver. Is it planned Decompression? Planned penetration? Overhead environment? Use of any gear beyond what is typically considered needed for "recreational" diving? Salvage diving with use of specialized equipment? Etc. Etc.

No offence to those that do serious "tech" diving to a point that many would not even consider doing and is clearly technical diving, but exactly where does a dive profile or equipment configuration transition from a recreational dive to a tech dive? Can a diver use basic recreational gear and still perform a "technical" dive.? I guess my personal opinion is that all dives have a certain level of "tech" and that the "TERM" Tech Diver in some cases is really just a subjective term....... and possibly even an ego term in some cases.

I guess my question is whether or not there is a black and white "line" that clearly defines the difference. I don't think there is.

I got asked to sign a tech diving disclaimer before doing a recent dive. The reason? Diving nitrox.

That seemed a bit over the top to me.

I reckon once your diving needs considered planning to be successful, then it’s technical. Considered planning should be more than just set the computer for nitrox and ascend at 70 bar.

To me tech is anything that exceeds recreational diving established limits.

So decompression or depth over 130 or overhead environment.
Definitely agree with deeper than 40m and overheard environments, but some small amount of deco still falls under rec with some agencies like BSAC and CMAS. I'd say deco dive plans that require more than a single tank.

Also Nitrox over 40% and any trimix.

Can you go to the surface at anytime without a required stop?....You are a rec diver. Do you have something keeping you from surfacing at anytime during the dive like a deco stop or overhead?....You are a tec diver.

If you went into deco by accident or swam into something you shouldn't have your not a tec diver, your just complacent.

If you went into deco by accident or swam into something you shouldn't have your not a tec diver, your just complacent.

That dive is now a technical dive, if you do it unplanned and without proper training, you're an idiot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom