What core warmer do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking of getting a core warmer to go with my 7mm suit and trying to figure out what to get. If you use a core warmer, I'd like to get your opinion on one.

I'm looking at a Pinnacle merino core warmer... Is the Pinnacle merino tough to dry? Is it cold and wet in between dives? Tough to put on?
Pinnacle Merino Lined 3mm Torso Heater Mens

and a Henderson core warmer. How warm is the H2 or Thermoprene?
Henderson 3mm Thermoprene Core Warmer Wetsuit A330MV-XS with reviews at scuba.com

If you don't use one of the above, what do you use and what do you like about it or don't like about it? Thanks for suggestions.
dd

Well that depends how cold the water is.

Ive been diving every weekend now here in nj. Shore dives, so max depth is 25fsw. Water temp is 38f. I use my bare sport 7mm wetsuit, bare sport 7mm hooded vest, 5mm xs scuba dry five gloves (best gloves ever), and 7mm neosport boots. I also use a hotbelt heater which helps some.

One trick i do is i will take a gallon of as hot as i can stand water, and pour it in my wetsuit before entry. That helps with the initial shock of the cold and for the first 5 mins keeping you warm.

I have the Pinnacle core warmer. I like it. I use it in conjunction with my full 3mm Merino when needed. I used both when we were in Kaua'i in early February when the water temps were 71F and I was fairly comfy. Anything below that and I am in a dry suit anyway.

In Fiji a week ago all I used was the core warmer.

It is super easy to put on, drying is fast, and with the wool there is no "funk".

Well that depends how cold the water is.

Ive been diving every weekend now here in nj. Shore dives, so max depth is 25fsw. Water temp is 38f. I use my bare sport 7mm wetsuit, bare sport 7mm hooded vest, 5mm xs scuba dry five gloves (best gloves ever), and 7mm neosport boots. I also use a hotbelt heater which helps some.

One trick i do is i will take a gallon of as hot as i can stand water, and pour it in my wetsuit before entry. That helps with the initial shock of the cold and for the first 5 mins keeping you warm.

Water would be here in New England during summer months... high 50's to low 60's. So you have about 14mm for a core? Is the vest under or over? Do you find it restricting at all?

What hotbelt heater do you use? I've done the hot water trick a few times... to bad you can't bring it down with you where it's cold. Thanks for your reply.
dd

I have the Pinnacle core warmer. I like it. I use it in conjunction with my full 3mm Merino when needed. I used both when we were in Kaua'i in early February when the water temps were 71F and I was fairly comfy. Anything below that and I am in a dry suit anyway.

In Fiji a week ago all I used was the core warmer.

It is super easy to put on, drying is fast, and with the wool there is no "funk".

Thanks Hawkwood. Sounds like what I would be looking for. Does your core warmer have a velcro shoulder or is it the one that you have to slip into through the neck opening?
dd

Water would be here in New England during summer months... high 50's to low 60's. So you have about 14mm for a core? Is the vest under or over? Do you find it restricting at all?

What hotbelt heater do you use? I've done the hot water trick a few times... to bad you can't bring it down with you where it's cold. Thanks for your reply.
dd

Yea I have a 14mm core. The hooded vest goes on the outside. It is a shorty style. The bare sport one. The hotblt heater I got from scuba.com. just type it in the search bar on tthe site. I don't really have too much restrictions as far as that goes. In 50-60° water you should be ok worth just the 7mm and hood and gloves.

I use a combination.

I have a Waterproof lynx 5mm, which seems to have a lot of space around the gut, but I find tight across my shoulders. So I normally have a lot of water trapped above my weight belt, unless I use a hood.

To counter the cold, I have one of these
Mares Thermo Guard 0.5 mm Short Sleeves Man. Suits Rash guards, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive

This is toasty warm despite its thickness and then I put a 3mm chicken vest over that, which is a cheap uh... ah Tigullio.

Alternatively try the Fourth Element Thermocline range
Women's Thermocline Long Sleeve Top : Fourth Element

Last edited:
Have you tried bringing a thermos of triple hot choc [not tea or coffee or something w/alcohol in it] and drinking a couple of cups just before you dive ??? A friend of mine who dives for the oil industry taught me that trick and it works in temps from mid 40's up

Thanks Hawkwood. Sounds like what I would be looking for. Does your core warmer have a velcro shoulder or is it the one that you have to slip into through the neck opening?
dd

Velcro on the left shoulder - easy on and easy off. The Merino lining is the way to go. Much warmer than any equivalent thickness suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom