What constitutes a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue dive #4 was 12' for 4 minutes.
Found the body, brought the body to the surface, towed the body, brought her on board and performed CPR.
Did I count it? sure!

When I took Rescue they told us we could count the dives even if they were really short. Cool, I thought.

50 minutes later we found our "dead diver".....:depressed:

Yeah, I counted those, and on the course we DMCd for. I've counted a couple here and there that were real short, due to stuff like unexpected bad current. I figure since I do all that work squeezing into the 7 mil farmer john and rinsing all the stuff afterwords, I at least get to count it!

Another twist on this question-- do you log aquarium dives, for those that volunteer in aquariums around the country/world?

Interesting that this topic came up right now as I am in the midst of the personal debate - and let me emphasize, it is a personal debate, not one with agencies, rules, or regulations.

I started volunteering at an aquarium in 2009 and logged the dives (actually, dive days) as it involved quite a bit of training and I really enjoyed the experience. The tank is 306,000 gallons, but only 15' deep. That said, we are diving with over 800 fish, including 8 sharks and a replica of the U352 - how cool is that.

Going into my second year, I opted to log separately as the numbers were really piling up - both dives and dive time - and skewing dive numbers as I reviewed stats (again, a personal thing - I like numbers).

Now in my third year, I have reversed gears and am putting them in the log. We typically get 4 dives in on our bi-weekly dive day - 2 presentations and 2 fun dives and get about 90 minutes in the water. As my log is now digital, it is easy to filter these dives in or out as needed (not sure thats the right word - as I'm not sure what any of this would be "needed" for).

And that gets to the OPs primary question - I agree with others that have said a dive is what you want it to be. Understand that for future training/advancement, some of the dives will not count towards whatever merit badge you are going after.

I log dives as a way to recall my experiences over the years. It was fun getting it all into a database as I relived many of the dives. If there is a regret, it is that I had a lapse in jotting notes about dives about the time I started diving salt water on a regular basis. I really enjoyed going back over my notes - lots of great memories.

As a result, we don't consider it a loggable dive unless the dive is at least an hour

oh shoot, I eventually reached the number of dives I was getting at to stop counting, and then I just realized I only have ~5 dives :crying::crying::crying:

Need to start counting again

:wink:

just kidding - and I like your definition - including the part I have truncated in purpose !

I read a lot of comments about diving in pools but how about in my bath tub?

That's another specialty....skin diving :D

Rescue dive #4 was 12' for 4 minutes.
Found the body, brought the body to the surface, towed the body, brought her on board and performed CPR.
Did I count it? sure!
I worked my butt off on that dive, saying nothing about all the surface rescues immediately prior to and following that dive.
On a recreational level, if I surface during a dive, but use the same tank to go down again, my computer will log 2 dives, but I'll combine them into 1 in my log book.

Well...if the victim was a stunner it may not count as a dive but you could consider the experience as a perk that you got from the course. 4 mins you said....hummmm that makes you a Speedy :eyebrow:

I figure since I do all that work squeezing into the 7 mil farmer john and rinsing all the stuff afterwords, I at least get to count it!

That'll be my new standard!

If I run out of air I'm counting two dives. One scuba and one skin dive.

Anytime you gear up, go under and breath compressed gas it's a dive. If you come back to the surface in good order it's a good dive.

I am a newbie but I agree with this. As a Private Pilot, anytime my engine is on, I'm in control of that aircraft, regardless of how high I fly. Breathing underwater is still breathing underwater, regardless of how deep you go. And in many cases, the first 15'-20' is the most difficult and most dangerous.

Any landing you can walk away from, is a good one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom