What computer do you own...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bengiddins,

Bungees are the way to go! So comfy. :) I'm amazed the dive industry doesn't notice how simple (and cheap) it would be to really make their products outstanding. I can guarantee you a piece of bungee costs less than the plastic band with the holes and buckle and all that.

- Warren

I recently bought a Genesis ReAct wrist module, (Nitrox capable) at my LDS. I have used it on 12 dives, (San Andres, Colombia.)

I found it to be easy to use, large fonts and the graphics are good. It would be nice to have a safety stop timer, instead of pushing a button to keep track of time on the second screen.

I also got the ReAct download interface and software. Unfortunately, it will not function properly on my new PC as it is running Microsoft XP. The software loaded after a few tries (errors were displayed the first 2 times and PC locked up on the 3rd try - but installed on the 4th time.) The nesting and serial connect does not work as I believe that XP keeps the COM ports open and the interface looks for a closed port. I thought I was doing something wrong, so I loaded it on another PC under Windows 98 - install went well and the interface worked. As an aside, on one of my shallow dives [34 fsw] the dive profile on the PC showed that I made a QUICK descent to 269 fsw - temp was 125 degrees the a FAST ascent to 5 fsw and 65 degrees! I don't remember doing that (must have been really bent) and neither does my wife (buddy.) as this was shown to have occured within 1 minute. The temp of all our dives was 80 - 81 degrees.

I tried to install it under a PC using Windows 2000 - same problems as the XP Operating System. According to Genesis, it will not work under XP, but should work under 2000. I was going to switch to the Mosquito, but Suunto says that their download package does not work under XP.

So I am waiting until the Mares M1 computer is available (I was told April) and see if the download interface (called Iris) will work under XP.

But I like the ReAct and the computer is easy to use and read.

BEM...

With windowsXP you can tell it to run a particular software UNDER Windows98!. You may not have known that. You can actually tell WindowsXP to run your software as a Windows98 program. If you need assistance on how to do this... let me know. It actually is a matter of 2-3 clicks of the mouse.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the input!
:)

Thanks for the input.

I'll try your suggestion out when I get the interface module back from the LDS. I returned it as it didn't work.

The software ran (under XP) when it finally installed but it could not handshake with the IR nesting device (attached to COM port and to dive computer.)

The software reported that the COM port was open and it needed to have it closed so it could control it?!?!

Maybe running under the Win 98 emulation it will work. Hopefully the dive computer manufacturers will bring out USB connections.

I'll post what happens when I try it.

Once again thanks.

I am very happy with my one of a kind dive computer.It came as a package deal didn't cost me much but my mother paid dearly. My computer is multifunctional and has reasoning functions not seen in any other dive computer. It's shoulder mounted and has ears. It has down loadable porting that can receive information 24/7. I don't worry about battery life because if it doesn't work I'm not going to need to worry about it :D
Safe Diving
Ken

:yellow: I have the Suunto sulution alpha. bought it about 6 years ago. it's a wrist mount. It's a good sturdy little computer. with user replaceable batteries. It's never let me down, mind I do carry back up.
:yellow:

New Suunto Cobra with a newly aquired innerface. My hockey puck now becomes my backup. I think I'll like the software and playing with the dive log/ so far it looks neat.

:jester: tony

NAUI diver and very proud of it.....

Cobra (console mounted, air integrated) and
Titanium Stinger (backup and wristwatch)
Bought the Stinger, new, on Ebay for $570 (US Dollars) in 12/2002
Bought the Cobra 2 years ago; don't remember price

Back
Top Bottom