What classes are most prevalent for AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since it's related to the OP's question, I'll ask this now. A look at the website of the LDS where I'm planning on doing my OW this summer suggests that all 5 dives are already picked for you, those being Deep, Nav, Night, PPB and Wreck... and Boat, I guess, considering their site states "On Sunday, we jump onto our charter boat in the Thousand Islands" (weather permitting if the boat isn't broken that day). Does this sounds like a good course or should I look for something with more flexibility to pick something else that may be more useful when I'm ready to do AOW?

Let me take the heat off of my LDS, They only require Navigation and Deep. It was my mistake. At lunch today, I went to the shop and signed up for the course. All of you are correct, and helpful, in realizing that time of year, location, and diver preference are the main contributing factors in choosing the other three dives. My LDS did encourage me to take the Peak Bouyancy, and I suspect I will. I did ask about the nitrox and that is not an available option before or during the AOW certification, so that will come later. There are still some chance that night and wreck may be available, even though this is inland. Apparently, the facility has large enough objects that wreck diving would be an available dive. The night dive is also being negotiatied with the facility, but probably will not happen. Anyway, I think I will focus on the material and prepare as much as possible for the required dives.

Since it's related to the OP's question, I'll ask this now. A look at the website of the LDS where I'm planning on doing my OW this summer suggests that all 5 dives are already picked for you, those being Deep, Nav, Night, PPB and Wreck... and Boat, I guess, considering their site states "On Sunday, we jump onto our charter boat in the Thousand Islands" (weather permitting if the boat isn't broken that day). Does this sounds like a good course or should I look for something with more flexibility to pick something else that may be more useful when I'm ready to do AOW?

Those are really good choices. Quite typical.

I (thought I) finished my AOW this weekend, but completed the specialty course for enriched air as one of the 5. (we did the entire specialty - and yes I definately agree with you - I would not have understood it with just limited info). We did not, however, do an enriched air dive since a dive is no longer required (we are doing it eventually, but just didnt this weekend). I just want to make sure I still qualify for my AOW without an actual dive on enriched air. the other dives I did were peak performance boyancy (completed the specialty), night, navigation, and deep.

Honestly I would say that you have not finished the AOW course until after you have done the 5th dive whatever it might be. But that is just my opinion. Personally I would give you another Adventure Dive besides EANx just because I could and you would get more out of it.

Sounds like an excelant selection of Dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom