What are your favorite fins and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which half is transparent?

the clear half. :)

I know you're joking, as am I... Not that I think the color has anything to do with it, but actually I like the feel of the rubber composition in the ice blue fins over the solid colored (black + yellow/red/blue) that they sell now because the clear version is more flexible. The newer version of the same fins seems stiffer, and I like it less overall.

*opens mouth, inserts foot*
see the image below - I have the pair on the left, with the transparent body and blue inserts. I like them a lot.

Attachments

• atomic_split_fin_320_318.jpg
    atomic_split_fin_320_318.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 74
I've dived with Voit Duck Feet, a body surfing fin from the 70s, Mares Planas, Beauchat long blades, one other full foot rental fin very similar to Planas and Mares Avanti Quattros. I like the Quattros best. After using them, the Planas felt like I had no fin on at all.

Excellerating ForceFins, followed by Extra ForceFins, followed by well... more ForceFins.

why... the foot pocket is the most efficent and comfortable thing on the market and they flat out work.

I just got a pair of Atomic Smoke on Water (split fin) to replace Twin Jets (grey.)

Very pleased so far getting the improvement in control and power, power was the main reason. Haven’t quite figured out how to flutter them right. I was pretty bummed the first dive but was commiserated with – a different fin can take a while to figure out - and took them back down again. Third dive, was starting to get the hang of flutter. More efficient frog kick and no problem there ‘getting it’. The brief periods of actually getting anywhere with a flutter were certainly much quicker propulsion.

A real bonus is they aren’t hurting my knee, or haven’t yet anyway. That could be a related to the control improvement. They are much stiffer and I was pretty worried they’d hurt worse.

Also are + buoyant and with my lead feet I wanted that.

When I was looking for reviews (they are new so didn’t find much) someone said the center panels fell out on an older Atomic. Have to say, the Twin Jet looks virtually indestructible to me.

The Twin Jets were my first dive fin and I didn’t realize how funny they look until up along side the Atomic. The Smoke on Water are much narrower, longer and stiffer. Have to wonder if that is one reason some people speak with such derision, the Twins look…well, like they are asking for it.

I don’t have the complaints spring straps solve and had not used them before. The Atomic spring straps are ok. I’m small and had to adjust them down, not much adjustment available and the springs are loose on me but it seems they will be okay; I just don’t need the spring action.
I don’t know if they are any easier to get on and off. What has been a challenge is to get my foot out of the pocket, nothing to do with the strap. It is nice to not have all that rubber strap flapping around. (Haven’t seen many spring straps here so they sure do look cool.) The clips seems secure to me, and are easy to use.

I’ve have no inclination to return to the Twins and happy I did the - have to buy to try - thing.

I think it's important to ask yourself what kind of diving you are planning to do with these fins. For the most part, an fin will aid in propulsion --but not all fins work the same way. There are also other properties you have to consider.

I like Jet Fins, but they are heavy. I travel a lot, so that's a consideration. Recently I switched to DiveRite fins, which are not quite as stiff, but are much lighter. I probably work a bit harder using them, but I also find at the end of a dive I'm not as tired because I'm not working as hard to keep my legs up.

I used to use split fins, but found I got cramps when using them (I know, they are supposed to help prevent cramps --they didn't in my case.) They are also reportedly not good for frog kicking, so if you are planning on any technical type diving, where the frog is the kick of choice --spits probably aren't going to cut it.

those are examples of considerations, but there are a lot of other questions you might want to ask yourself, as well.

I will say this, I truly like the DiveRite fins. They are easy to get into and out of with spring straps --they are reasonably stiff, and light.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I like the DiveRite fins too:

SCUBA Diving Fins...All-Purpose Fins for All-Purpose Diving

They are light, relatively stiff, and they come with spring straps.

I don't know if they win "hands down", since I've only used 3 or 4 different pairs of fins in 30 years of diving (fin straps might break, but fins don't) and I'm sure they don't have "power to spare"--I actually have to supply all the power myself, but they are my preferred fin.

As has already been mentioned it depends on your needs.
I use Oceanic V-12s for warm water and drysuit diving and I find them comfortable, effective and well made. I also have a set of Atomic split-fins. They weigh almost 1 pound less a fin but they are not as comfortable to wear or as effecient for swimming for me. The idea was to have a lighter travel fin, but I now take the heavier Oceanics even though there is not really anything wrong with the Atomics. I just prefer the others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom