What are they worth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstrdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have 2 PST 120's LP with only their second Hydro on them . I may be selling them but have no idea what they are worth . On the last VIP there was the usual flash rust from the hydro , thats it. Could someone help me out ? Thanks

Randy

I have 2 PST 120's LP with only their second Hydro on them . I may be selling them but have no idea what they are worth . On the last VIP there was the usual flash rust from the hydro , thats it.
I am not familiar with a LOW PRESSURE 120 made by PST. If it is, indeed, a LP tank this may not help. But, a HP 120 would probably bring $200-$250, even presuming it is the 3500 psi (rather than 3442) tank, with the smaller diameter neck. I have 2 of them myself, and bought one used a couple of years ago for $250. My dive buddy paid $600 for a set of double 120s last year. Of course, what a tank will bring depends on the size of the local buyer market as well.

I am not familiar with a LOW PRESSURE 120 made by PST. If it is, indeed, a LP tank this may not help. But, a HP 120 would probably bring $200-$250, even presuming it is the 3500 psi (rather than 3442) tank, with the smaller diameter neck. I have 2 of them myself, and bought one used a couple of years ago for $250. My dive buddy paid $600 for a set of double 120s last year. Of course, what a tank will bring depends on the size of the local buyer market as well.

PST did indeed make plenty of LP120s.

8" diameter, not quite 30" tall, weighed almost 52lbs empty. Big tanks.
I'd post a pic (if I could find one) but honestly they look like any other PST hot-dipped galvanized cylinder, just...really big.

I have 2 PST 120's LP with only their second Hydro on them . I may be selling them but have no idea what they are worth . On the last VIP there was the usual flash rust from the hydro , thats it. Could someone help me out ? Thanks

Randy

...over on 'The Deco Stop' WWW site there is a recent/ongoing thread about PST tanks DOT 'exemption' being scheduled to 'expire May 2011. The thread is rather 'technical' and I'll admit i don't really understand all the details, however, the bottom line is that PST went out of business a few years ago, and so PST has failed to do the paperwork required by the DOT to maintain their 'exemption', thus it appears that after may 2011, all PST tanks will suddenly become 'illegal' for use in the USA and PST tank owners will be the proud owners of a bunch of very expensive windchimes ! I'm monitoring this subject personally as I own a total of 7 HP PST tanks, which represent a good $ 2500 worth of tanks, so I'm very nervous about the situation. I will say that. however much I like my PST tanks, I'd certainly NOT buy any more unless/until this 'exemption' issue is clarified/resolved !

...over on 'The Deco Stop' WWW site there is a recent/ongoing thread about PST tanks DOT 'exemption' being scheduled to 'expire May 2011. The thread is rather 'technical' and I'll admit i don't really understand all the details, however, the bottom line is that PST went out of business a few years ago, and so PST has failed to do the paperwork required by the DOT to maintain their 'exemption', thus it appears that after may 2011, all PST tanks will suddenly become 'illegal' for use in the USA and PST tank owners will be the proud owners of a bunch of very expensive windchimes ! I'm monitoring this subject personally as I own a total of 7 HP PST tanks, which represent a good $ 2500 worth of tanks, so I'm very nervous about the situation. I will say that. however much I like my PST tanks, I'd certainly NOT buy any more unless/until this 'exemption' issue is clarified/resolved !

Please don't pass along bum info. The exemption expiring, if it happens, DOES NOT AFFECT ALL PST CYLINDERS.

The exemption is for the "E-series" cylinders -- the E7 (E7-80 , E7-100, and E7-120) and E8 (E8-119, E8-130). All E-series cylinders are rated for 3442psi.

They are "exemption" cylinders because they were allowed to be manufactured under a DOT exemption to the 3AA spec I believe.

LP cylinders are not under the exemption and should be useful for as long as they are in hydro. Obviously if my info is incorrect here, I'd love for someone more knowledgeable to step in.

Last edited:
PST did indeed make plenty of LP120s. 8" diameter, not quite 30" tall, weighed almost 52lbs empty. Big tanks.
I'd post a pic (if I could find one) but honestly they look like any other PST hot-dipped galvanized cylinder, just...really big.
Interesting. Thanks. Have never run across them. I can imagine that they are 'big'.

Interesting. Thanks. Have never run across them. I can imagine that they are 'big'.

Colliam -- if you aren't familiar with NADCO in Greensboro you should make a trip there sometime. It shouldn't be too far away from Hillsborough; Google Maps says ~40ish miles.

They are a tech-oriented (but rec friendly) shop and generally have lots of larger cylinders there. I usually see a bunch of LP120s -- some PST, some Faber, some Worthington (some are "LP121" but close enough).

To the OP -- what would be the chances of you posting some pics so Colliam (and everyone else, since you are considering selling them) can see?

There was a thread last year with someone selling a PST LP120 for $235 shipped, and that was a pretty good deal. He did originally have photos of the cylinder posted and I wish they were still up but alas they aren't.

Back
Top Bottom