What are the police doing to end the crime on Bonaire? - thread split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SS, do you have any proof that the police have really apprehended the crooks, or is that unconfirmed rumor? Since you are a stickler for that proof stuff, I'm sure you can produce something that confirm that?

Any comment on the above posted account of Bonaire crime to that group of divers? uh, not surprised it has shocked you as well.

Ya they sent SCUBASteve the pinkie fingers of all the crooks as "Proof of Capture" They will televise the Beheading in two weeks!

All the posting in the world proves to my that Crooks and Cops are the same all over the world! On e takes stuff and they others take reports! So I suggest learn to protect yourself!

the victim actually "USED COMMON SENSE AND LOCKED THINGS IN THE SAFE" but the safe still didn't help. I was thinking about going to do a family vacation may 2010 but don't know? is sanddollar a safe place with any form of security?

Well if you read the post they where staying in an isolated place and who knows what the safe was? I would call them and ask! Captain Don's or Buddy Dive might be a great place to do the first trip! Guarded gate and security on site! It is a compound type resort and they seem to be a lot safer! Go and have a great time and you are forewarned!

thanks papa bear i am taking wife and kids and just dont want any bad situation, if possible. everything i read about bonaire sounds great except the burglaries i keep hearing about. i was going to be staying in two bedroom condo at sanddollar? but i'll check out buddy and capt. dons

You will still have a condo and cooking stuff, but they have a kids program and pools for the kids! I think that is the way to go for a first timer! Then once you get the feel of the place and your own experience then you will feel better about future decisions!

thanks papa bear i am taking wife and kids and just dont want any bad situation, if possible. everything i read about bonaire sounds great except the burglaries i keep hearing about. i was going to be staying in two bedroom condo at sanddollar? but i'll check out buddy and capt. dons
Sand Dollar is just fine as well, I doubt there's a real difference in security. The "real" difference is that the Sand Dollar condos (and those of next door's Den Laman) are privately owned condos managed by a central office, versus Buddy and Capt. Don's which are hotel resorts with no private ownership of the individual units.

Practically, though, there's probably not much difference. Some of the Sand Dollar units are in better shape than others, likewise with Buddy and Capt. Don's. Buddy and Capt. Don's each have their own dive ops, while Sand Dollar shares BDA with Den Laman. Personally I prefer the boat diving at Buddy or Capt. Don's over BDA's. Buddy features its "drive-thru" tank swap station, while Capt. Don's requires a bit more driving through the property to get close to loading tanks; BDA is right off the Den Laman parking lot and really easy to swap tanks when they're open. Buddy and Capt. Don's have oceanfront restaurants on site that serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner (dinner at Buddy's is really at the Lion's Den Restaurant, separately owned, but right on the property). At Sand Dollar, you can breakfast and lunch at the Sunrise restaurant (maybe they're serving dinner too now?), but it's off the road, not on the water. However, the Den Laman Restaurant (can't recall what Kirk calls it now) serves dinner right on the water and it's easy walking distance from the Sand Dollar property. Buddy and Capt. Don's have pools and there's one at the Sunrise restaurant as well for use by Sand Dollar guests.

In other words, flip a coin. They're all good.

I would add that although Sand Dollar has security I noticed one flaw when we stayed at Den Lamen a couple of years ago, and that was an unsecured gate behind the gear room at Den Lamen, that connects the two properties. At the time there was nothing to prevent someone accessing Sand Dollar threw this gate.

BUT

I think they may have addressed this issue since, because when we ate at the new restaurant there at Den Lamen this last July there was a night watchman occupying a chair where he could observe both areas like the dock, gate and almost all of the parking lot. If he is on all night, as the guard is at Buddy's this is another loophole plugged. They do seem to be adjusting and improving security.

You should be fine at Sand$. It's somewhat smaller of a property than buddy's and captain Don's. For kids, Sand$ is great because of the kids program as well. Also, most properties and condo properties have night watchmen on duty as mentioned.

Nine trips, stayed in a variety of places on the island, private homes, condos, black durgon, sand$, Belmar, Belefonte, etc. never had a problem with crime. I even left a hat I did not want to take back with me in the truck for 2 weeks...no takers. Friends who were there at the same time a couple weeks ago left a small suitcase in the back of the truck for 2 weeks as they didn't want to pay and lug an empty case home...no takers...I am however very anal about making sure my stuff is locked in the safe if it's not on my person, don't leave room windows doors open or unlocked when I'm not there, etc. Have a great trip:D

..I am however very anal about making sure my stuff is locked in the safe if it's not on my person, don't leave room windows doors open or unlocked when I'm not there, etc. :D

BC..Maybe that's a good reason why you've never ever experienced any problems. Frankly, I'm the same way and between you & me, in 25 years I only had a small knapsack which contained a dirty towel and chapstick taken at a divesite on Bonaire. And I may add, that's a helluva better record than I've had on numerous other islands in the Carib. ie Jamaica; St Croix; St Thomas, Cozumel; Grand Cayman to name a few..Well you get the point. No matter what opinions are held by some folks here, it is my personal experience that Bonaire is one of the safest islands in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom