What are the police doing to end the crime on Bonaire? - thread split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread split from previous discussion

I have dove all over the Caribe and have never heard of that happening with such frequency as Bonaire. THEFT FROM YOUR ROOM IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!That would do it for me, big time. How can ANYONE relax to dive knowing there is such a distinct possibility of theft IN YOUR ROOM? What did the owners do for you? The very least woud be to refund you that nights stay, since they did not provide you with a safe place to sleep for the night:shakehead:

I find it revealing indeed that no one was as shock as I on this matter? Is it THAT accepted on Bonaire now? NO, IT DOES NOT HAPPEN EVERY PLACE ELSE!

I'm glad that you had fun. My wife and I were there from Dec. 26 to Jan. 03. On our second night, someone broke into our apartment and stole my camera from inside the waterproof case. Thankfully it was only a $250 Canon.

So for those of you going or thinking of going, lock every lock and bolt on the doors. It was our second trip, and I'm sure that we'll be back. (I'd post a scan of the police report, except that I don't speak Dutch or Papiamentu and it looks like jibberish)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have dove all over the Caribe and have never heard of that happening with such frequency as Bonaire.

Apparently you've never been to Curacao.

My wife and I have also traveled extensively in the Caribbean and other warm tropical regions and have never felt as safe and welcome as we do on Bonaire.

The island is diver friendly and with its small size is easy to navigate.

Bonaire and Curacao are unique diving destinations, and as such can't be compared to many of the other islands, the best explanation I've read is here.

Just use common sense; stay in locations that provide security, lock your valuables in the safe they provide, and don't leave anything expensive in your car/truck.

Will be back on Bonaire in June...can't wait!

yes, I've heard bad things about Curacao as well. It seems it's a problem with the ABC islands? Common sense? Someone breaking into your room to rip you off is a lapse of common sense by the victim? huh? Too many reports like this that I don't see or hear about in other islands, except Curacao and Jamaica. Not good.:depressed:

Apparently you've never been to Curacao.

My wife and I have also traveled extensively in the Caribbean and other warm tropical regions and have never felt as safe and welcome as we do on Bonaire.

The island is diver friendly and with its small size is easy to navigate.

Bonaire and Curacao are unique diving destinations, and as such can't be compared to many of the other islands, the best explanation I've read is here.

Just use common sense; stay in locations that provide security, lock your valuables in the safe they provide, and don't leave anything expensive in your car/truck.

Will be back on Bonaire in June...can't wait!

I'm just glad I didn't let a few bad reports keep me from going to Bonaire.

I do appreciate those who have actually been to these locations and their reports, they are valuable for preparing for future dive vacations.

very transparent :rofl3:

I'm just glad I didn't let a few bad reports keep me from going to Bonaire.

I do appreciate those who have actually been to these locations and their reports, they are valuable for preparing for future dive vacations.

Pilot Fish...give it a rest, will ya please! Everyone knows how you feel.

Ya know, people just see you as a person that has a very vested interest in keeping the Bonaire crime problem quiet so you can't rent your condos.:eyebrow: Can we say you have a credibilty problem regarding bonaire crime?:rofl3:

VB..Pilot Fish only knows how to play one tune..Between you & me, it's also a bit off key..:D
But of course he's entitled to his opinion, even if it is in the minority.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom