What are the police doing to end the crime on Bonaire? - thread split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record...

I have never been to Bonaire. The issue of theft concerns me. I WILL BE taking my trip in March of next year as planned. I will be taking some extra precautions as well.

$14.95 for a door alarm. > $20 for a cable and lock for a spare tire. Rental car insurance. Trip insurance. Keeping the doors and windows in the rental truck OPEN. Keeping the doors and windows in the hotel LOCKED. Keeping valuables in the room or hotel safe or on my person. Seems like all the same things I do here at home.

Enjoying a well deserved Vacation in "Diver's Paradise" PRICELESS

the victim actually "USED COMMON SENSE AND LOCKED THINGS IN THE SAFE" but the safe still didn't help. I was thinking about going to do a family vacation may 2010 but don't know? is sanddollar a safe place with any form of security?

Just stayed at Sand Dollar. Loved it. They have on sight security. Saw them making regular rounds throughout the entire condo complex every night after dark.

Highly recommend, along with the entire Bonaire experience. Just, as a football coach I know says, "Don't do stupid."

You will not regret a trip to Bonaire. The diving is great and the freedom of shore diving makes it even better.

thanks papa bear i am taking wife and kids and just dont want any bad situation, if possible. everything i read about bonaire sounds great except the burglaries i keep hearing about. i was going to be staying in two bedroom condo at sanddollar? but i'll check out buddy and capt. dons

drasher, I was with my wife and two kids there and felt perfectly comfortable allowing my boys to walk after dark over to Lover's Icecream to get some desert. What you are getting on this board from the Bonaire detractors is motivated by ulterior and nefarious motives.

Is there crime on Bonaire? Yes. Is there crime everywhere? Yes. Is the crime on Bonaire excessive or violent? Absolutely not. You are much safer there, even without taking standard precautions, than you are almost anywhere else. If you take normal precautions you will most likely have a very enjoyable and crime-free experience. If not, I'd classify it as a very unlucky and unlikely to happen again, experience.

Enjoy!

Sand Dollar is just fine as well, I doubt there's a real difference in security. The "real" difference is that the Sand Dollar condos (and those of next door's Den Laman) are privately owned condos managed by a central office, versus Buddy and Capt. Don's which are hotel resorts with no private ownership of the individual units.

Practically, though, there's probably not much difference. Some of the Sand Dollar units are in better shape than others, likewise with Buddy and Capt. Don's. Buddy and Capt. Don's each have their own dive ops, while Sand Dollar shares BDA with Den Laman. Personally I prefer the boat diving at Buddy or Capt. Don's over BDA's. Buddy features its "drive-thru" tank swap station, while Capt. Don's requires a bit more driving through the property to get close to loading tanks; BDA is right off the Den Laman parking lot and really easy to swap tanks when they're open. Buddy and Capt. Don's have oceanfront restaurants on site that serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner (dinner at Buddy's is really at the Lion's Den Restaurant, separately owned, but right on the property). At Sand Dollar, you can breakfast and lunch at the Sunrise restaurant (maybe they're serving dinner too now?), but it's off the road, not on the water. However, the Den Laman Restaurant (can't recall what Kirk calls it now) serves dinner right on the water and it's easy walking distance from the Sand Dollar property. Buddy and Capt. Don's have pools and there's one at the Sunrise restaurant as well for use by Sand Dollar guests.

In other words, flip a coin. They're all good.

The Sunset restaurant at Sand Dollar serves dinner every night and you normally need a reservation to get in. And it is right on the water. We enjoyed sitting on the wall and watching the night divers while we dined. (If we weren't night diving ourselves.) They are also supposed to have some of the best burgers for lunch on the island. But we were there during the holidays and our schedule never synched up to try them so no first hand experience to share.

The Sunset restaurant at Sand Dollar serves dinner every night and you normally need a reservation to get in.

Is that the restaurant right below Den Lamen? I heard the guy who owns Lions Den also owns that now and it's suppose to be pretty good.

Is that the restaurant right below Den Lamen? I heard the guy who owns Lions Den also owns that now and it's suppose to be pretty good.

I think it is OK. The owner is Kirk and yes he also owns the Lion's Den restaurant. I also think both of them are pricey - but they are on the water!

Maybe all the problems aren't being caused by the locals? I mean..Bonaire isn't that big. Surely, if it were a local problem the police would be able to find out who the theives were yes? UNless of course they're involved...

Leaving your truck windows open and expensive gear inside is asking for it to be stolen just about anywhere. Having your room broken into and the safe cracked? that's got nothing to do common sense.

It is right by the Bari Reef dock and between the two resorts. SD and DL.

The food was very good and they make it in an open air kitchen so you can watch them preparing it if you want. They also have live entertainment on some nights of the week.

It wasn't the best food we had on the island (Unbelievable and Patagonia stole those honors) but it was still quite good and the presentation was always very nice. I'd put it in the top 3 or 4 locations (not including Pasa Bon Pizza which is a class of excellence all by itself!)

Maybe all the problems aren't being caused by the locals? I mean..Bonaire isn't that big. Surely, if it were a local problem the police would be able to find out who the theives were yes? UNless of course they're involved...

Leaving your truck windows open and expensive gear inside is asking for it to be stolen just about anywhere. Having your room broken into and the safe cracked? that's got nothing to do common sense.
Mike,

It is recommended that you leave nothing of value in your vehicle and leave the windows open. That is a pretty good indicator to possible thieves that there is nothing of value in the vehicle. If it is the rental vehicle that is stolen, you can be sure the rental company will have police looking for the vehicle.

No one has stated that having your room broken into and the safe cracked is common sense or even a common experience. Just like your home can be broken into, your vacation unit can be broken into... There are however, common sense rules that will help keep you and your gear safer. Things like (But, not limited to):
  • keeping your gear in the designated areas recommended by the resort (not on a table or balcony) when not in use. I don't even keep mine in my driveway at home to dry in case someone should come by with sticky fingers
  • Stay situationally aware of your surroundings (just like I do at home)
  • Park in well lit areas at night and visible areas during daylight (just like I do at home)
  • Travel as a couple or group at night and/or in areas where you are unfamiliar. You are in an area that is unfamiliar. When you are at home, you can readily avoid areas you know to be unsavory. It can be a little tricky when you don't know the area
  • Lock your doors and windows when you leave your villa and at night when sleeping (This doesn't completely stop crime, just like it doesn't completely stop crime at home, but it is a deterrent)
  • Just like any vacation spot, don't leave valuables, money or any expensive items out in the open... I don't trust the room staff at Holiday Inn in the US, so I certainly won't trust the house staff anywhere else.
  • If you stop in an area and you are not comfortable, leave the area immediately (Just like at home)
  • Another deterrent is to add those travel alarms for doors and windows to your vacation spot. I use them in the US as well as when travelling abroad.

I don't care where I go on vacation... I do some research and find the areas I want to visit and the areas I am sure I don't want to be stranded (Watts, areas of Washington DC, etc). To me, this includes housing in compound areas that offer a little (read that as "a little") more security

What I can't understand is where some people responding on this thread use these "common sense" measures at home to stay safer, but believe it is completely unrealistic to think anyone should do the same thing on Bonaire. OR, that authorities on Bonaire should be doing it ALL for everyone

Again, following these measures does not guarantee that your valuables, room and person will remain safe and unharmed. Just like at home, there are times when these measures don't work, and chit happens.

Reports of B/E and burglary seem less at home, but that is because we have a much larger violent crime issue here... Are these crimes minimized by me? No! They are not good, but I put them into some type of perspective with the norm of things (no, I don't call them normal... only in perspective of "the norm" of things). Some posts on this thread have given them no "norm" in the perspective of the world and blow them to proportions equivalent to "Manson murders", and I feel that is doing real harm to the discussion

It is right by the Bari Reef dock and between the two resorts. SD and DL.
Huh? Between the two resorts are lockers and a fence. If you look up from the restaurant that I believe you're talking about, you'll see the entirety of DL. The restaurant is the entire bottom floor of DL, save for the office, the "owner's" suite, the photo shop, and the dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom