What are the "must do's" on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jghflash

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're leaving October 27 for a two week trip (first time) to Bonaire! :D

What are the you-just-gotta-do-it-see-it-dive-it-eat-there places. I know, I know......do a search and read all the prevous posts. I did that and I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. Also, it's getting cold up north so maybe you guys want to dream about warm Caribbean water and fantasize about that last trip you took to Bonaire! Thanks for your suggestions.

Try dinner at Richards. It is next to the Carib Inn. Snorkel the inner reef at Sorobon to see Juviniles of many fish. You must try night diving at any of the reefs. The town pier is famous for its night dive. Rent a pick up and shore dive. Have fun, I'm going back in July.

Go to Rincon on Saturday...

Take a look at this thread on food:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=128138&highlight=casablancas

As far as diving, everwhere we went was awesome. One thing you might want to do is do a dive with Dee Scarr. It was them most memorable dive i have done to date. The marine life is so used to her that they come right up to you for food handouts. Check out:

http://www.touchthesea.com/

Another thing we are going to do is a dive or two with Larrys Wild Side Diving. I heard from a lot of folks that have dove that side that it is absolutely awesome.

http://www.larryswildsidediving.com/

I have to wait 8 months one week and 3 days till we return for two weeks.

Have fun wish i were going sooner.

Town Pier is a great night dive and Salt Pier is a noon dive, but both have to be led by a dive master and registered with the harbour master because of security restrictions at the piers. Do some boat dives and ask to be shown Sea Horses and Frog Fish, the DMs know were they are.

Night dives are great especially when the Tarpon show up. Also do some tranisition dives as the fish change shifts as the sun starts to set.

Go to Habitat on a Monday evening and meet Captain Don.

We were there last month and you can see our trip report at http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/1022/298543.html?1160436253

Drive around the park

Get a bottle of wine, some fresh cut gouda, and bread. Take a blanket and drive to the cross at Seru Largu at night and watch the island lights and shooting stars while you catch glimpses of bats hunting. Hear the donkeys braying in the distance. See how many landmarks you can pick out and watch really closely for the lighthouse at the south end of the island.

Dives to do: Karpata (see if you can find the four ancient anchors), Hilma Hooker at night (you will probably be the only people on it), anywhere on the wild side with Larry.

Eats: Casablancas for the massive mixed grill, Capt Don's for the pizzas.

Drink: Gotta be Amstel Bright, anywhere you can get it!

Mark

jghflash:
We're leaving October 27 for a two week trip (first time) to Bonaire! :D

What are the you-just-gotta-do-it-see-it-dive-it-eat-there places. I know, I know......do a search and read all the prevous posts. I did that and I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. Also, it's getting cold up north so maybe you guys want to dream about warm Caribbean water and fantasize about that last trip you took to Bonaire! Thanks for your suggestions.

If it hasn't already been said in the linked threads:

Julio's for lunch. Snacks are good @ Wattaburger. Dinner at least once at Raining Fishes (aka It Rains Fishes).

BTW, if there are two or more of you consider bringing down a box of frozen meat packed in dry ice. Because even though there are local supermarkets like Cultimara, the meat prices are high. Also, remember that this is an ISLAND and supplies come in only once or twice a week. So there are times when the supermarkets are little bare.

However, that being said, you cannot beat the fresh baked goods @ Cultimara: everything from pound cake to bread is delish!

Go find the Bird Lady.

Back
Top Bottom