What are my options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a great volunteer team in your area...

http://nedo-usa.com/mvdr/index.html
Merrimack Valley Dive Rescue
P.O. Box 387
Billerica, MA 01821-0387

I know several members on the team and they are "top shelf" people. Good luck!
(Tell them Blades Robinson from the IADRS says "hello.")

MikeFerrara:
... However, from what I see of dive teams around here they are automatically disqualifying a HUGE amount of diving talent and expertise by only considering police officers and fire fighters for diving positions.

Mike,
I think you're right. Perhaps more so when the fire or police department is more rural with limited resources. In a larger metropolitan city, however, it seems to be that way because much of the structure is already there. For example, the guys are on duty already, can respond twenty-four hours, have other training that crosses over into dive ops so, hey, why not just throw a few more bucks down stream, draw up a cool logo and go swimmin'.

Some of it's probably cultural too. Cops and firemen are adrenaline seekers and love to work under pressure. Why not branch out a bit and try a new discipline?

My advice for those seeking to be on a PSD team would be this: if you're looking to join a PSD for the adventure, seriously give the fire service or police department a long consideration. You never know, that kind of career move might be right up you alley.

Cheers,

In some cases civilian teams are great and do great things. But for the most part they are not Search and Rescue Teams but more of a Search and Recovery Team.

Most people on civilian teams have jobs unrelated to the team they are volunteering for. This can cause a lot of problems not only for the team but for the employer as well.

Today for example we had enough divers on every shift to do a dive if needed without a team callout. It isn’t like that all the time but it’s nice when it happens.

Then there is the driving aspect. We have take home cars and can run code to calls. A civilian volunteer can’t do that.

There are other problems associated with both sides. The bottom line is the area needs to do what is best for its citizens be it paid or volunteer.

Gary D.

Our team is all volunteer. As Gary points out we're recovery, not rescue. We're not well funded and like most places we have our issues. However, I love serving the area with the team and I really appreciate the things I've learned in the past few months. As I transition into a larger role with the team my civilian skills are useful and I don't have to associate diving with my paycheck.

To add to Gary's comment, the team members need to do the best with whatever situation they're in, be it paid or volunteer.

ciao!

leam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom