What are my options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafael

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello every one, my question is where should i go if i want to become a PS diver in Massachusetts, i been a Boston resident for the past 4 years.

Do i have to join the police force or the fire department?

It is anyway i could volunteer in the state and become part of the team?

I do not care if i have to get my own gear or pay for my training, well i shouldn't say that i will care if i never get to use it.

Thank you for reading my thread, and thank you for doing what you do, God Bless you all.

Hi Rafael.

First check with your local Fire Departments and all the LE agencies. They should be able to at least let you know what they expect and who to contact.

Good luck

Gary D.

Thank you Gary, i did and in order to join the team you have to become a firefighter first and then a PSD.

My question is, if is other group of volunteer divers i can join, getting in to the fire department ain't easy and if i do not make it in it what other options i will have?

If they all have in-house teams then you have a problem.

Have you checked with Law Enforcement? State Police, County Police or Sheriff and Local agencies might have outside teams.

I don’t know much about your area but I remember reading something about that area of the country that had some laws governing PSD’s. I just don’t remember where it was for sure.

The problem with most PSD training is you need to be on a team affiliated with emergency services before you can get it.

One word of advise I can give is Don’t buy any gear pertaining to PSD until you get on a team and see what they require. Different areas around the country have different needs and use different equipment to fill those needs.

Keep searching for a team. Are you flexible as to location? Moving might be an option.

Good luck again. Don’t give up easy.

Gary D.

Thank you Gary, thanks for the advice and no worries, i'm not buying any gear, and i'm taking the fire department test in June, and i do not want to sound negative or sound like i have no confidence in myself, but i'm a 31 years old, 5' 7'' man with a very bad grammar by the way, which doesn't place me on top of the list i will think they will like to have a younger and why not bigger person on the team. I'm training every day, reading the study guide from past tests (since the one for this year is not out yet), and i will go as prepare as possible if i fail it won't be for lack of preparation i'm very motivated and my wife (God i got lucky with that Lady) she is been nothing but the best, at first she wasn't very excited with the idea, now she is the one waking me up earlier every day to work out with me.

Well i'm missing the point, in case i do not make it i was wondering what other options maybe out there for me? I hope is at least one as a an call, intermatte or Volunteer whatever i'll take anything to start i just want the chance and i'm sure i could show them what i'm made of and how much i want to become part of this.

Gary, thank you very much.

Thank you for the links, i checked those before, but all this links sent me to the same place Join the BFD or a LE agency in order to be part of a PSD team.

Hi Gary, i just wanted to thank you again for the advice and i wanted to let you know that last Saturday i took the test for the BFD, so if everything goes well i maybe able to become part of the PSD

Good luck to you on the test! I am a volunteer, but once the fire service gets in your blood, it's hard to beat!

Dan

It's too bad they do things this way. I know of teams made up of poorly qualified and inexperienced divers but who are of course police officers or fire fighters...not all teams get the best equipment and training. I've always wondered why they want professional firefighters and law enforcement rather than professional divers.

I understand that insurance and liability concerns may require divers to be employees and some cross training may be required. I also understand that most teams aren't structured to have full time divers. However, from what I see of dive teams around here they are automatically disqualifying a HUGE amount of diving talent and expertise by only considering police officers and fire fighters for diving positions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom