What are good/not as good SCUBA equipment brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with DevonDiver's earlier assessment... different manufacturers have strengths and weaknesses in their product lines. Therefore it is best to judge product line by product line (say masks from all manufacturers) rather than brand by brand. Once I find a favorite, I usually buy several at once so I will have stock when that particular product is retired. For example, I have four Cressi Big Eyes masks. Like them quite a bit. I have three Scubapro X-Tek (old model) BCD harnesses, two of them essentially brand new waiting for the first one to die (after 10-11 years I'm still using it). I have 6 Scubapro Mk10 first stages and several G250 second stages. Are there better products out there? Possibly, but I've dived with these for a long time and they work just fine.

Interesting, first you represent ScubaPro's superiority as fact, then when the fact is in dispute you pretend that you presented your opinion. Now, everyone has a right to an opinion, but everyone else has the right to call them on that opinion and to request supporting arguments. But you do not support your opinions legitimately, with a reasoned argument that describes the reasons why you think that ScubaPro is the best in all ways, rather you just advance the idea that your opinions are supported by your long experience in the diving industry. That construct is what is know as a logical fallacy, specifically an "appeal to authority." Rather shakey ground to rest on, especially given your hidden agenda of increased profitability by flogging ScubaPro gear. Frankly, were I a potential customer, I would be insulted at being though so stupid.

But that is the way you want to play, fine, I think it singularly foolish, but, what the hell, I'm feeling foolish at the moment, so if you really want to, we can compare our disparate levels of "authority" as the sole arbiter of who is right here.

Except for the Jet Fin, Scubapro doesn't make anything I'm interested in owning. I briefly owned a Scubapro regulator back in '91 or '92 and, personally, I didn't care much for it. I gladly let my ex-wife have it in the divorce. She sold it for cigarette money. For several reasons, US Divers/Aqua-Lung was the better choice for me. I own several regulators from the USD Conshelf series and and as long as I can get parts for them (forever?), that's what I'll be diving. If I were to find that, for whatever reason, I need to buy new regulators, I would most likely go with Edge/HOG or, perhaps, Zeagle.

I have been asked a couple of times why I have so many Conshelfs. Simple answer: I like them and am collecting them. I don't need more than a couple, but I seem to be addicted to buying Conshelfs. I just can't seem to help myself.

, I'm feeling foolish at the moment, so if you really want to, we can compare our disparate levels of "authority" as the sole arbiter of who is right here.
Isn't it enough that Beaver Divers Loves Scubapro gear?

Is it a sin for Beaver Divers to be so passionate about Scubapro that they wish to share their passion?

Um yeah I did. Someone happy with a set of stuff from scubaPRO, I've been looking at that too.

This is the problem with business members posting advertisements in every freakin thread: many users don't pick up on the fact that what they're reading is actually a commercial advertisement.

The person you think is "someone happy with a set of stuff from scubaPRO" is actually an internet dive shop owner who sells ScubaPro. He's trying to get you to buy ScubaPro gear, preferably from him.

It's an ad in the guise of a post.

---------- Post Merged at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:08 PM ----------

Is it a sin for Beaver Divers to be so passionate about Scubapro that they wish to share their passion?

What you are doing is unethical and, IMO, disgusting and annoying. I'm actually kind of amazed the staff here lets you get away with it so much.

"Share" and sell are oft two different things. Given the time and energy that I have spent reaching my current level of "authority" I suspect your passion has more to do with Beaver Divers' love of profit than it does with love of ScubaPro gear. Evidence of this is your badly biased outlook.

Last edited:

Maybe look into how other businesses and vendors comport themselves on SB?

Someone get a doctor! I think this guy is choking on the ScubaPro kool aid.

I try to keep it positive. If you noticed I did not bash the other lines of gear even though I have had experiences with them.

But since you asked, IMO Scubapro's luggage line is their weak link.

their luggage is better than mine... :wink:

It's a funny thing, long before doing what I do now, and before being a rep for some major brands I once worked in a high volume repair facility that did thousands of regs a year. I very quickly realized that performance was one thing, build quality something COMPLETELY different.

back then (mid 90's) performance was something a few had, build quality was something quite a few had. Now it seems that performance is almost a given, almost everybody has a good/very good performer. Build quality has however reduced overall. Environmental regulations affected chrome quality and sometimes price considerations saw a decline in build quality.

I've also seen a brands quality "fade" for a period and then return, sometimes just to where they were before the fade and sometimes to a higher level than before (Scubapro in the last couple years).

It's hard to get a unbiased review of the build quality, a regs performance is easy. test the darn thing and look at the chart. Build quality tends to manifest with time and first noticed on the repair techs bench..and they work for shops that have brands they carry and will tend to push...obviously.

I can tell you I have drove my suppliers nuts the last couple years pushing build quality issues, the first couple years I drove them nuts pushing performance issues. I had a good build quality, now I demand a great build quality. Build quality in many ways is more elusive and require much more stringent controls on the entire process from design, choice of materials, choice of sub vendors, qa for components and production and final qa....

---------- Post Merged at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Oh, where as the focus of this thread has shifted to bias...to be absolutely clear

I AM BIASED TOWARD EDGE AND HOG GEAR, if you don't believe this story is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too

Hi, I'm a very new scuba diver (just got my Open Water this week- woo!) and I'm looking for some equipment that is rugged and durable.

Check out back plate and wing BCs over jacket style. They are much more comfortable, and easier to dive in. I'm sure someone has mentioned it already, but be careful with dive shops. A lot of them care about the all mighty dollar more than you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom