What are good/not as good SCUBA equipment brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purely on what I've observed over the last 10 years.

Mares: Great Masks, awesome Fins (I have 2 pairs) but: BCD's that will leak as soon as you look at them and lemming-like weight pockets that will hurl themselves from your BCD as you giant stride.
APEKS: Great Regs and decent Wings
Scubapro: Functional Regs and they make the best semi-dry going (The Nova Scotia)
Tigullio: Um
SeacSub: Well...
Cressi: Good Masks
Aqualung: Bomb-proof basic regs (Titan/Calypso) great top-end regs (Legend) and the old style Wave BCD is still one of my best purchases.

Actually, the OP's question was:

"Has anyone had really good/really bad experiences with Oceanic, SEAC, Aeris or anything else?"

So...Beaverdivers.... what are the negative aspects of Scubapro gear?
I try to keep it positive. If you noticed I did not bash the other lines of gear even though I have had experiences with them.

But since you asked, IMO Scubapro's luggage line is their weak link.

( By The Way, I have spoken to Howard about a banner ad. Thanks, for the idea. )

And the mods wonder why people run ad blocking software... Sheesh!

The problem is that you post was incorrect and missleading:
Come down off your hobby-horse.
I will stand by the facts I posted.

When you are riding a leader, it is hard to look down!

To be frank, if you are going to ask a question like the OP's in a forum like this, how will you know what sort of biases are underlying anyone's response? Some people area well known as being dealers for specific gear, but others aren't. If you get enough responses, you will get glowing reviews for just about everything made.

To be frank, if you are going to ask a question like the OP's in a forum like this, how will you know what sort of biases are underlying anyone's response? Some people area well known as being dealers for specific gear, but others aren't. If you get enough responses, you will get glowing reviews for just about everything made.

I don't have a problem with Scubapro gear, per se. I have a good bit of it myself. Though I will say, as a rule, it tends to be very expensive. And poorly supported, as of late.

My problem is more with the way some vendors spam the forums with thier sales pitches (couched or no).

IOW: It's one thing to pitch gear because it's been reliable for the diver that is recommending it. It''s another to shill a specific brand they have a financial interest in, especially where that brand may be a particularly poor value for a new diver.

Last edited:
I second John_B. I have no problem with ScubaPro gear in comparison to other gear. Some pieces are great like the Jetfin, others are no better or worse than similar gear in other lines like their regulators, and yet other are poor in concept and design like the Shotgun Snorkel, but (as stated earlier) I find their marketing program(s) rather duplicitous and the Platinum Dealers are at the forefront of that program.

Perhaps you are confusing marketing with someone that test dives gear, chooses to use the best and shares this passion with other divers.

Just because, I happen to sell what I truly believe in doesn't mean I can't share my belief with others.

I am in a unique position. I can ( and have in the past 30 years ) deal with any brand of diving equipment.

I truly believe Scubapro is the best!

Who are you to pass judgement?

I try to keep it positive. If you noticed I did not bash the other lines of gear even though I have had experiences with them.

I think we all appreciate what the word "unbiased" means.

It's a shame the OP didn't specifically state a requirement for "unbiased" recommendations, because that would have necessitated a more balanced and comparative review on your behalf.

There's nothing 'negative' about stating strengths and weaknesses. To expect anyone to believe that a brand has no weaknesses is ludicrous. Likewise, to expect anyone to believe that a single brand is "the best" in every respect is also an unbelievable fallacy.

You opinion is yours to share. How people view your opinions is their prerogative.

Personally, I think that unbalanced opinions, reflecting an active interest in promoting a brand, are worthless as sincere recommendations.

You opinion is yours to share. How people view your opinions is their prerogative.
Yes after more than 5000 dives on Scubapro gear, I am biased towards Scubapro.

There is an inherient reason for my bias. After 40 years of using Scubapro gear diving all over the world, Scubapro has served me and my divers extremely well!

Thank You Devon for santioning my right to share my very biased opinion.

Back
Top Bottom