What are good/not as good SCUBA equipment brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out back plate and wing BCs over jacket style. They are much more comfortable, and easier to dive in. I'm sure someone has mentioned it already, but be careful with dive shops. A lot of them care about the all mighty dollar more than you.

I've heard this repeated many times on this forum - as a complete newbie (I'm actually the OP's buddy) what is 'easier' about it? I get that the inflation is in a different place, but at the end of the day aren't jackets, back inflates or BP/W's all just variations on strapping a tank to your back?

They are the same like a pickup truck and a sports car are the same. Both get you from point A to point B, but it depends on what route you are taking to what works best.

Over the years I have dived with equipment from every major brand marketed in the US and Asia.

I have never used a reg or BCD (in good repair), that left me thinking it was a real dog.

My current personal Favorites are:

Mask ---Mares
Fins ----Scuba Pro
Reg ----I thought long and hard about this and I really dont have a favorite, but currently own Aqualung-USD, Cressi, Mares and SCUBA Pro but usually dive with Cressi(it is in my rental inventory)
BCD ----Zeagle but usually dive with Cressi (IMHO SCUBA Pro used to be the leader here but not any longer)
Computer: Oceanic although I usually dive with Mares

Cheers,
Roger

The dive shop will make a big deal of the warranty--KEEP ALL YOUR PAPERWORK IN PERPETUITY IF YOU WANT TO BUY INTO THE WARRANTY THING. Aqualung/APEKS may be cheaper as they service every 2 yrs.

In this vein, if you do buy into the warranty thing, then be sure to ask questions and fully understand what you are getting into. I bought some APEKS knowing I would have to keep my paperwork in order, but understanding it only needs service every two years. However, I never yet confirmed if it is an APEKS thing or that particular shop, even though it only REQUIRES service every two years to keep the parts warranty active, it also needs to be at least inspected every 1 year so I'm stuck paying for the shop fee every year regardless (at $35 per stage for 4 stages). Painful because I don't even use the regs. I use HOG's instead and service them myself for less than $20 per stage.

The ScubaPro's I ditched because it was too difficult to keep all my paperwork in order (plus I lapsed just one month when they changed their policy and exempted me because of the lapse) but the MK17/S555 never breathed anywhere nearly as well as the APEKS/HOG's do.

The main thing, as other have said, is make sure you can get your stuff serviced where you live and possibly where you travel. That basically limits you to any of the name brands unless you go the route of service-yourself (which I did).

Back
Top Bottom