What agency would allow this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking it is a meditation class, using Nitrox (for the illusion of extra O2), but with no "training" or certification offered.

First, how does an instructor have a child underwater on scuba with no training, and second, how does an instructor avoid their agency standards while doing this?

Not saying this program is necessarily a bad thing, but wondering how an instructor and their agency sort out the details.

Bob

Assuming, and yes it is a HUGE assumption, that everything is somehow on the up-and-up with agencies and insurance, there still are now some viewers of that story thinking that 4 year olds scuba diving is a real option.

A couple of background notes: PADI does have a pool only experience program for 8 & 9 year olds called Seal Team. There is also a waiver system for standards, but I find it difficult to believe PADI would go there for an age 4 diver.

I checked WRSTC standards on their website, and don’t find anything addressing under age 15 standards for certification. So perhaps Junior certs are not addressed by WRSTC at all.

I don’t find anything in PADI standards that would specifically ban a PADI member from participating in such a program that is obviously not a PADI program, assuming it is not presented as a PADI program. I think insurance is the #1 issue here if there is a sufficient firewall in any marketing between the program and the agency brands.

There is always the possibility that they are just renting pool time to an ambitious mom with her own gear. Again, managing liability would still be foremost. And I think most scuba shops renting pools would be very motivated to ensure all activities stay within the guard rails, to avoid getting sucked into someone else’s lawsuit.

Still, this news story does at least imply a connection between the shop’s brand and a 4 year old diver. I have a lot of questions, and a lot of concerns.

BTW: from a marketing perspective, you are a scuba diver from the moment you experience your first dive on scuba, even in a pool. Not the same as a Certified diver.

As well as still stay in the good graces of the insurance carrier for the shop.
yeah the outside of standards stuff will not be covered by the insurance agencies

First, how does an instructor have a child underwater on scuba with no training, and second, how does an instructor avoid their agency standards while doing this?

Not saying this program is necessarily a bad thing, but wondering how an instructor and their agency sort out the details.

Bob
What does this concern have to do with the Nitrox Meditation "class?"

What does this concern have to do with the Nitrox Meditation "class?"

Sorry about that, they were discussing the same mechanism to help the autistic child in the autism program, and I thought it was the same program, didn't see the mediation class further down the list.

Bob

Assuming, and yes it is a HUGE assumption, that everything is somehow on the up-and-up with agencies and insurance, there still are now some viewers of that story thinking that 4 year olds scuba diving is a real option.

Absolutely... you hit the nail on the head.

I don’t find anything in PADI standards that would specifically ban a PADI member from participating in such a program that is obviously not a PADI program, assuming it is not presented as a PADI program.

The PADI Code of Practice, right up front in the IM, is pretty specific about how it expects instructors to behave toward divers in their care at all times, whether in a PADI course or not. A diver doesn't have to be in a PADI approved course to be in the care of a PADI instructor or DM (consider the typical situation of a dive guide leading certified divers.) I would expect that any PADI instructor involved with allowing a 4 year old to breathe compressed air at any depth would have some serious explaining to do to their RTC.

There is always the possibility that they are just renting pool time to an ambitious mom with her own gear.

True... so it doesn't have to be an instructor with extremely poor judgement. Just a pool owner with extremely poor judgement.

BTW: from a marketing perspective, you are a scuba diver from the moment you experience your first dive on scuba, even in a pool. Not the same as a Certified diver.

Too true... which of course leads back to your first point at the top.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom