What about Malibu v Ranger v Escape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robin,
The Zena is not restrictive at all - your arms are totally free with no obstructions. My wife has worn the BC with a 3mm and 7mm suit, with the only added restriction being the suit thickness. The Zena comes with a 34lb bladder, the ripcord weight system, which will hold 12 lbs per side, and a rear weight system that will hold 10 lbs per side.
As for your other question, a LDS should have no problem getting you a Ranger with a 35 lb bladder!!

Scott

ScottZeagle:
Robin,
The Zena is not restrictive at all - your arms are totally free with no obstructions. My wife has worn the BC with a 3mm and 7mm suit, with the only added restriction being the suit thickness. The Zena comes with a 34lb bladder, the ripcord weight system, which will hold 12 lbs per side, and a rear weight system that will hold 10 lbs per side.
As for your other question, a LDS should have no problem getting you a Ranger with a 35 lb bladder!!

Scott

Thanks Scott!

RobinG:
daveg1:
I have had my Malibu for 6 years. It has been very a comfortable BC, so far it has never had any kind of problem. I have never had a problem with the weight pouches.
QUOTE]

Good info, thanks. It's allegedly more buoyant that similar BCs, from what I read in Rodales. Have you dived other BCs and if so, how much more buoyant would you say the Malibu is (or isn't)

Robin
If its more boyant than others I have not noticed. I currently own 4 BC's. 1 jacket style, 2 back inflate and a back plate and wing. The jacket I only use in the pool for classes. My 2nd back inflate is a SP knighthawk. I am currently using this one for most open water dives. The only reason I have it is the shop I currently DM for sells SP, and not US divers. They both have been great BC's. I would buy eather again.

Is there anybody in the world who would sell just the Ranger harness without the bladder? I already own an Escape, bought it from Scubatoys a couple of months ago, and absolutely love it. It's lightweight and packs wonderful when you're travelling. That being said, though, I think I would like one like the Brigade just that much more, since the Ranger harness is heavier duty and has more pockets. My wife would kill me for spending another $400, but if I can find a Ranger harness, I'll find some way to justify it. :)

Any dealer can order you just the vest section, shoulders, and cumberbun, if that is what you are looking for. Where you may run into a problem is the fact that the complete BC may end up being less expensive than buying the seperate components....

I am home now, but if you are seriously considering that, I can list the retail prices for you in the A.M.

Scott

Firefyter:
Is there anybody in the world who would sell just the Ranger harness without the bladder? I already own an Escape, bought it from Scubatoys a couple of months ago, and absolutely love it. It's lightweight and packs wonderful when you're travelling. That being said, though, I think I would like one like the Brigade just that much more, since the Ranger harness is heavier duty and has more pockets. My wife would kill me for spending another $400, but if I can find a Ranger harness, I'll find some way to justify it. :)

Give me a shout tomorrow... I'll figure out what we can do for you... Should be about $125 off the Brigade... but don't hold me to that... I've got to check.

ScottZeagle:
Any dealer can order you just the vest section, shoulders, and cumberbun, if that is what you are looking for. Where you may run into a problem is the fact that the complete BC may end up being less expensive than buying the seperate components....

I am home now, but if you are seriously considering that, I can list the retail prices for you in the A.M.

Scott

Thanks, Scott. I understand about the pricing, kinda like buying a car one piece at a time, huh?....LOL

scubatoys:
Give me a shout tomorrow... I'll figure out what we can do for you... Should be about $125 off the Brigade... but don't hold me to that... I've got to check.

Thanks to you, too, Larry. I'll give you a call sometime tomorrow. Customer service at it's finest, no wonder I keep coming back :)

Robin,

I just invested in a Zeagle Escape and love it (so far). I am 5ft-4in, weigh 116#, and dive with a 7/5 mm jumpsuit and 5/3 hooded vest. I chose it over the Zena because of the pockets (the Zena has no pockets - you have to purchase and accessory pocket). Also, the LDS owner said that the Zena is better for flat chested women, while the Escape is more suited with those with a bit of a bust (or more than a bit).

Some comments on it so far - fit is great and it is relatively lightweight. I also invested the extra $20 for the crotch straps, which help keep the BC stable. However, whenever I use the rear weight pockets, I notice it offsets my buoyancy and ends up flipping me onto my back. Thus, I load 8-9# in each pocket up front. Also, I always have to load the weights before I put on the BC, because it is near impossible to load them, even with my husband helping me. Finally, the ripcord system, although unique, is sort of intimidating. I've been tempted to pull it (just to practice dropping my weights), but I find putting the ripcord weave back together far from simple.

The extra pockets up front are big enough to load a small kinfe, light, and signaling device.

Good luck!

Suzy

derm diver gal:
Robin,

I just invested in a Zeagle Escape and love it (so far).

Thanks much. I have an old Zeagle nwo and while i hear complaints about it flipping people over I seem to have enough 'frontal flotation" to keep comfortably upright on the surface is I have a long wait, or face down if I want to watch the fishies while I wait my turn to get on the boat.

Appreciate your input though. I may take a peek at the Escape but my dive computer just attempted suicide so that's my new priority.

Robin

Back
Top Bottom