What about Malibu v Ranger v Escape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobinG

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to replace an elderly (but still functioning and loveable but too big) Zeagle Beta. I tried on and loved the Malibu but had some hesitation about the velcro pockets. Anyone dived with this model and what did you think?

I also tried on and loved the Ranger but feel it is too...macho, I guess. Too heavy. I also looked at ScubaToys Brigade adn thought, hmm. could do...

And I haven't seen the Escape in person. Don't like the Zena--the "girls" are held firmly in place by my various suits.

I am 5'3", around 130 pounds, want back inflation and one pocket, a couple D rings, weight integration. Hate chest straps.

Thoughts?

Robin

RobinG:
I'm looking to replace an elderly (but still functioning and loveable but too big) Zeagle Beta. I tried on and loved the Malibu but had some hesitation about the velcro pockets. Anyone dived with this model and what did you think?

I also tried on and loved the Ranger but feel it is too...macho, I guess. Too heavy. I also looked at ScubaToys Brigade adn thought, hmm. could do...

And I haven't seen the Escape in person. Don't like the Zena--the "girls" are held firmly in place by my various suits.

I am 5'3", around 130 pounds, want back inflation and one pocket, a couple D rings, weight integration. Hate chest straps.

Thoughts?

Robin
I have had my Malibu for 6 years. It has been very a comfortable BC, so far it has never had any kind of problem. I have never had a problem with the weight pouches. Even here in the north east with the pouches filled over their 10# rating but filled to 12#. After 6 or so years and several hundred dives it shown no signs of failing in any way.
I have not dove any of your other choices so I can not comment on them.

Have you looked a t the Zeagle Escape? Its like the Ranger but smaller (you dont need 45lbs of lift anyways) Its low profile and looks to be tougher than the Malibu from what I've seen.

Hi Robin,

I owned the Malibu, and it served me very well, but switched to BP/W, blah, blah, blah (won't try to tell you about it, since that's not what you're asking about). Weight integration worked very well and fit great, but a big downer for it was the pocket. It's on the cummerbund and very small. I could fit a safety whistle and a clip or two, and that's about it. I'd look at Zeagle's products first, as suggested above (and, apparently, has crossed your mind). Good luck!

Robin

My wife dives an Escape and is exactly your size. She loves it.

Hi Robin!

My wife felt the same way about the Zena BC - until she tried it out! She can dive any BC we make, but the Zena is now her BC of choice.

I can honestly tell you, from working at consumer trade shows, that the thing that most women like about the Zena is the way it fits their body. There is much more to it than just holding, and I quote: "the "girls" :wink:

If you have a chance to try the Zena BC on, you may end up liking it! Regardless of which BC you buy, thanks for at least considering the Zeagle line!!

Dive safe,

Scott

After this weekend, July 10-11, I can comment on the Brigade if you are interested. Got one on the way!!

crpntr133:
After this weekend, July 10-11, I can comment on the Brigade if you are interested. Got one on the way!!

I'd love to hear your reaction, especially if you have tried on the Ranger and Escape too.

ScottZeagle:
Hi Robin!

My wife felt the same way about the Zena BC - until she tried it out! She can dive any BC we make, but the Zena is now her BC of choice.

I can honestly tell you, from working at consumer trade shows, that the thing that most women like about the Zena is the way it fits their body. There is much more to it than just holding, and I quote: "the "girls" :wink:

If you have a chance to try the Zena BC on, you may end up liking it! Regardless of which BC you buy, thanks for at least considering the Zeagle line!!

Dive safe,

Scott

Scott

I dive a Zeagle now and there's so much about it I love, but it's too big. The Ranger I think is a bit heavy which is why the Brigade is starting to appeal to me.

I would love to hear from your wife about the Zena--does she dive in different thickness suits? I dislike feeling encumbered at all, which is why I like the rear-inflate, no-nonsense feel of my Zeagle Beta (any of THOSE still around other than mine!?)

Also, if I ask my LDS about getting me a Ranger with an Escape bladder, will they turn pale or can that be done? They're nice folks, not exactly local (2-3 hours away) though, and not much selection.

Robin

daveg1:
I have had my Malibu for 6 years. It has been very a comfortable BC, so far it has never had any kind of problem. I have never had a problem with the weight pouches.
QUOTE]

Good info, thanks. It's allegedly more buoyant that similar BCs, from what I read in Rodales. Have you dived other BCs and if so, how much more buoyant would you say the Malibu is (or isn't)

Robin

Back
Top Bottom