Whaling thread gone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
see, if people could discuss the issue without using words like "knucklehead" or
worse, no one but the posters would have to get involved

...some people simply do not know how to argue civilly

Funny, but "Bite Me" Fanboy doesn't sound quite civil either. Read the threads (should they return) and perhaps you'll feel differently.

well, "Bite Me, Fanboy" is not directed at anyone in specific, and you obviously
don't know the reference (Google it, it ain't hard)

i assure you, you wouldn't call anyone "knucklehead" if they were in the same
room with you and could do something about it... that's the problem with
the internet and incivility... all the usual drawbacks are just not there

as for reading the thread, how do you know i haven't? how do you know
i didn't participate?

H2Andy:
well, "Bite Me, Fanboy" is not directed at anyone in specific, and you obviously
don't know the reference (Google it, it ain't hard)

i assure you, you wouldn't call anyone "knucklehead" if they were in the same
room with you and could do something about it... that's the problem with
the internet and incivility... all the usual drawbacks are just not there

as for reading the thread, how do you know i haven't? how do you know
i didn't participate?

Do me (us) a favor and use your latent anger and bold internet posturing for the thread.

Mr.X:
Do me (us) a favor and use your latent anger and bold internet posturing for the thread.

dang dude... can you make ONE post without making personal comments about
someone?

Mr.X:
Personally-directed attacks violate the Terms of Service for this board, even if cuss words aren't used. You can however, make use of private messaging (PM's) to express dissatisfaction with specific posters. Just keep it out of the forums.

Mr.X:
Interestingly enough I re-discovered that certain folks, regardless of whether a species is threatened/endangered/sentient will continue to do exactly as they please unless they undergo some form of a paradigm shift. One knucklehead seemed to revel in rubbing people's noses in it. It's too bad his parents didn't train him not to gloat over the kill.

Given this psychological propensity to do the wrong thing it's pretty clear that these individuals and their respective fishing industries will hunt to near extinction. It's about money, not giving a #%t, misinformation and screwy personal values.
Well, after the species has become extinct, I'm sure we'll hear a group apology :wink:

Just say no to shark's fin soup, bird's nest soup, tiger balm (with real tiger), rhino powder, whale blubber shakes, genuine mummia tea, bear claws etc...

MoonWrasse:
Just say no to shark's fin soup, bird's nest soup, tiger balm (with real tiger), rhino powder, whale blubber shakes, genuine mummia tea, bear claws etc...
Since this thread's just an intermission, I'd like to relate a cute story about rhinoceros when I worked for the Milwaukee County Zoo.

We had a skeleton of a white rhino lying out in the open as a sort of "extinction exhibit". Actually we just couldn't get another white rhino to replace the old one, and co-opted the old one's corpse just so there'd be *something* in the pen.

But anyway, one day our education coordinator gets this phone call from a local woman. She's interested in our rhino skeleton, and would like to know "how much we want for it". When told it wasn't for sale, she made an offer of $10,000. When told it was illegal to possess without a permit, she remarked that she wouldn't have the *skeleton* long, as she was planning on grinding the whole thing into powdered form.

When told it didn't matter, she couldn't purchase it, the woman asked if she could have the horns only. When this too was refused, the woman became irate. She said something along the lines of how maddening it was for her to see such a valuable thing sitting out in the open like that, rotting away. Then she hung up.

For the next two weeks, I took every one of my student groups through that exhibit, in the hopes of spotting some obsessed horn-grinding lady leaning over the railing.

That's almost funny Archman. In a similar vein I have actually met people who didn't realize that eating a hotdog was actually eating a part of an animal. I'm not joking!

archman:
Since this thread's just an intermission, I'd like to relate a cute story about rhinoceros when I worked for the Milwaukee County Zoo.

We had a skeleton of a white rhino lying out in the open as a sort of "extinction exhibit". Actually we just couldn't get another white rhino to replace the old one, and co-opted the old one's corpse just so there'd be *something* in the pen.

But anyway, one day our education coordinator gets this phone call from a local woman. She's interested in our rhino skeleton, and would like to know "how much we want for it". When told it wasn't for sale, she made an offer of $10,000. When told it was illegal to possess without a permit, she remarked that she wouldn't have the *skeleton* long, as she was planning on grinding the whole thing into powdered form.

When told it didn't matter, she couldn't purchase it, the woman asked if she could have the horns only. When this too was refused, the woman became irate. She said something along the lines of how maddening it was for her to see such a valuable thing sitting out in the open like that, rotting away. Then she hung up.

For the next two weeks, I took every one of my student groups through that exhibit, in the hopes of spotting some obsessed horn-grinding lady leaning over the railing.

As sad as your ghoulish tale is, similar things have happened to Alister Cooke's corpse:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/23/body.snatching.ap/index.html
Authorities believe his body and those of hundreds of other people -- including famed British broadcaster Alistair Cooke -- were secretly carved up in the back rooms of several funeral parlors citywide to remove human bone, skin and tendons without required permission from their families. Authorities allege the body parts were then sold for a profit.

As a diver interested in seeing fish, I don't expect the human race to leave many for my grandkids to see, except maybe plastic fish planted at dive sites.

MoonWrasse:
As a diver interested in seeing fish, I don't expect the human race to leave many for my grandkids to see, except maybe plastic fish planted at dive sites.
Well as fraught as the whole thing is with problems, advances in things like fish farming techniques by the Japanese and others might just ensure that they do. Resource management is certainly something that we all need to get better at. eyebrow

Back
Top Bottom