Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check the history of animals like the .........[B:
passenger pigeon [/B]to see how innocent the "noble tradition" of hunting is in driving animals towards extinction. Shortsighted, ignorant, and ill-informed comments like yours really turn my stomach.

Chris

Weren't they put out of business by the big airlines? :huh:

After reading all the posts left, since cleaning, on this thread it's interesting how passionate people can skew the argument, both ways. There were some constructive comments and many destructive ones. It reminds me very much of politics. Lots of rhetoric and few if any solutions. As with many issues, and someone pointed this out, unless we look at the big picture we can't make any type of informed comment. Dr. Bill was a voice of reason and yet he was attacked as well. People with closed minds and tunnel vision will always keep their own opinion in focus while any other argument, however credible, will be blurred in their minds.
Most of this thread is just so many words. I did learn a few things and want to thank the folks who posted links. I will take into account where the links originated and take that into account when I go through them. It would be nice to read a constructive thread written by people who might have an opinion but are open minded enough to at least listen to other point of views and actually read links that may not support their opinion.
The people I most respect sometimes have different opinions than I but are always willing to sit down and discuss mine. Most of the problems we humans have, environmental and otherwise, are solved by those who listen and have constructive contributions. Not by finger pointing and name calling.
Just my opinion, Dennis

One thing that I'd like to mention about the Japanese whaling industry that really bothers me . . .I have read several articles on the web that indicate that Japan is 'donating' large sums of $$$ to several of the smaller Caribbean countries in the hopes of winning their vote to whale around their islands. . .the one that sticks out the most is Dominica. Does anyone know if this is true?

I don't think anyone believes for one second that these are research vessels.

For the most part I do not agree with or support whaling. The only exception that I can think of is the Inuit who see this as a spiritual rite. As of the last Anthropology class I attended . . .this practice was still allowed. . .I was a bit disapointed to also learn that they were using motor boats and guns instead of the traditional hunting techniques.

It would be nice if we could respect different cultural beliefs and keep our traditions alive while taking the environment into account.

DavidPT40:
According to Dr. Alan Rabinowitz, biological diversity is at its lowest point ever right now.
I would have thought that would have been after the last mass extinction? I guess being truthful dosen't help make a point.
BTW Chris, the passenger pigeons were killed by market hunters not sports or subsistance hunters but nice try at expanding your anti agenda with misinformation.
Anybody ever eat whale meat? Nasty stuff! Couldn't brush that taste out of my mouth for hours.....

divetraveler:
One thing that I'd like to mention about the Japanese whaling industry that really bothers me . . .I have read several articles on the web that indicate that Japan is 'donating' large sums of $$$ to several of the smaller Caribbean countries in the hopes of winning their vote to whale around their islands. . .the one that sticks out the most is Dominica. Does anyone know if this is true?
I believe that's true. It's only the same as others do though when they link aid to particular policies they believe in. I suppose it's just human nature to be prepared to give money to people that will support your goals. It's easy enough to understand.

Wildcard:
Anybody ever eat whale meat? Nasty stuff! Couldn't brush that taste out of my mouth for hours.....

Bad chef then I'd say. Here's my wednesday dinner this week. According to my guest at the table it tasted great, and she wasn't just being polite either!

divetraveler:

It could be true, and if it is it stinks. Just as much as any other country's habit of buying friends in environmental issues. Can you think of a big one?...

KOMPRESSOR:
Bad chef then I'd say. Here's my wednesday dinner this week. According to my guest at the table it tasted great, and she wasn't just being polite either!
But your kitty cat doesn't count!
(LOL.. this thead needed some humor)
back to discussion..

divetraveler:

I don't think anyone believes for one second that these are research vessels.

For the most part I do not agree with or support whaling. The only exception that I can think of is the Inuit who see this as a spiritual rite. As of the last Anthropology class I attended . . .this practice was still allowed. . .I was a bit disapointed to also learn that they were using motor boats and guns instead of the traditional hunting techniques.

It would be nice if we could respect different cultural beliefs and keep our traditions alive while taking the environment into account.

I don't know why they might be spending money in some of these countries, but I just returned from Micronesia and yes, several large road projects are being paid for by the Japanese government. I don't speculate why, there could be many reasons, not the least of which was the fact they occupied these areas during the war.

Back
Top Bottom