Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
I believe that's true. It's only the same as others do though when they link aid to particular policies they believe in. I suppose it's just human nature to be prepared to give money to people that will support your goals. It's easy enough to understand.

Do you know why the Japanese are spending money in these places? please don't anyone speculate.

DavidPT40:
The last mass extinction began with the industrial revolution.

this is a point a lot of people miss.

and THIS mass extinction is due to the actions one species: us

which means we could actually do something about it if we wanted to

Diver Dennis:
Do you know why the Japanese are spending money in these places? please don't anyone speculate.
Not that I could state as a fact. Much like other rich nations the Japanese give help and aid to all sorts of people and probably for a variety of reasons - some good...some maybe not so good. You can frame the same question about all countries though - why does any country help anyone else? The answer to that is probably very similar to the motives of the Japanese. Sometimes in pure humanitarian disasters it's just to help - in many other cases I'm sure it's part of some deal or other.

KOMPRESSOR:
Bad chef then I'd say. Here's my wednesday dinner this week. According to my guest at the table it tasted great, and she wasn't just being polite either!

And I thought beef was considered "red meat"! I have to ask - do you always take pictures of your dinner?

Kim:
Not that I could state as a fact. Much like other rich nations the Japanese give help and aid to all sorts of people and probably for a variety of reasons - some good...some maybe not so good. You can frame the same question about all countries though - why does any country help anyone else? The answer to that is probably very similar to the motives of the Japanese. Sometimes in pure humanitarian disasters it's just to help - in many other cases I'm sure it's part of some deal or other.

I'm not saying that it is not the reason, and you're right as far as other countries as well, but it is Japan that we are discussing.

Diver Dennis:
I'm not saying that it is not the reason, and you're right as far as other countries as well, but it is Japan that we are discussing.
Maybe I'm not quite sure what you are asking then. If it was about the specific question as to whether the Japanese give aid to win support on the whaling issue then as far as I know they don't really deny it. If it's about why they build roads in Micronesia then it could be for a number of reasons. I do know that in Indonesia proper for instance they have many deals to secure wood. I very much doubt though if it's anything to do with guilt about the war. The Japanese are extremely inflexible on that issue and consider that they have already fulfilled their obligations set in place by various treaties and agreements at the end of the war. This is a very large bone of contention in this part of the world, especially with the Chinese and the Koreans. There have been many attempts through the Japanese courts by people that suffered in one way or another to gain compensation. They have all failed AFAIK. This is a topic that is very often in Japanese newspapers.

edit: By the way - I agree we are discussing particularly Japanese policy here - I was only saying that if we could understand why anyone gives aid then the answer as to why the Japanese do is probably very similar.

Back to the issue of whaling though.....

If anyone is interested in the official Japanese view of why they do it you might be interested to read this:
http://www.icrwhale.org/QandAjapanresearch.htm

This is the official website of the Japanese organization that is responsible.

I like whale tails too.

Kim:
Back to the issue of whaling though.....

If anyone is interested in the official Japanese view of why they do it you might be interested to read this:
http://www.icrwhale.org/QandAjapanresearch.htm

This is the official website of the Japanese organization that is responsible.
I read it. Interesting point of view.

Now I think I'll go research me up some BBQ'd ribs. :D

Back
Top Bottom