Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim, the point is that I want to read factual information, not speculation.

Diver Dennis:
Kim, the point is that I want to read factual information, not speculation.
I can see that. I'm just saying that the factual reasons on a case by case basis while I'm sure they exist are probably very hard to be sure of. If you are asking me whether I am sure that Japan uses aid for votes - well, for a long time they were in denial about that but these days it's publically acknowledged:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/1444818.stm

I completely agree with you though that in a discussion like this facts are very helpful. That is why I have provided several links throughout the thread and have read through all the links provided by others. You may judge for yourself which side of this discussion is more underpinned by facts, rather than guesswork.

Kim:
I can see that. I'm just saying that the factual reasons on a case by case basis while I'm sure they exist are probably very hard to be sure of. If you are asking me whether I am sure that Japan uses aid for votes - well, for a long time they were in denial about that but these days it's publically acknowledged:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/1444818.stm

Thanks Kim. Exactly what I was looking for, facts.

Rick Inman:
I read it. Interesting point of view.

Now I think I'll go research me up some BBQ'd ribs. :D
Hot or mild BBQ sauce? Inquiring minds want to know.

For all the fact-lovers and fact providers, I think there is a spiritual side to this. Basically, if you feel sick watching whales go through a wood chipper, then, to some of us that means something. It doesn't mean we lead perfect lives. I just find Japan to be a little over-rational sometimes. Like I said, there are certain things I do not consume any more. Can I win your debate factually? Maybe not. Am I evolving at a deeper level? I think so. You either get it or you don't. Maybe you are not supposed to get it now.

I would never eat a whale, just like looking at whale tails.

dlndavid:
I would never eat a whale,
Me neither. I just don't have a problem with people that do though. Personally I think that most people would feel sick to their stomach if they stood in a working Western abattoir - they don't seem to have a problem though when it comes to buying it nicely wrapped and 'de-animalized' in the supermarket.
I was watching the news this morning which showed footage of the chicken cull happening in Eastern Turkey because of the bird flu. The birds were put, often alive, into plastic bags before being thrown, still alive, into burial pits. That made me feel sick too. (but probably not half as bad as the birds felt)

Kim you are right, many do not understand what it is they actually do.
Eating a burger, turkey or ham, but a whale? It is a creatures of magnificance, a cow, pig, turkey or a chicken are not of this magnitude in the chain of life. Different cultures have different values, that is ALL. No right, no wrong. The world as a whole will figure this out one day and become one. Right now, we are not in that place, so opinions of such difference exist. I still like whale tails, and always stop to look.

dlndavid:
Kim you are right, many do not understand what it is they actually do.
Eating a burger, turkey or ham, but a whale? It is a creatures of magnificance, a cow, pig, turkey or a chicken are not of this magnitude in the chain of life. Different cultures have different values, that is ALL. No right, no wrong. The world as a whole will figure this out one day and become one. Right now, we are not in that place, so opinions of such difference exist. I still like whale tails, and alway stop to look.
That's more or less how I see it too. I've never actually seen a whale tail (except on TV), but I bet I'd like it too! :D

dlndavid:
Hot or mild BBQ sauce? Inquiring minds want to know.
Korean hot-pepper sauce.:furious:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom