Whale Sharks off Corpus: Great Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great pictures, although I dont like to see someone holding on to the whale shark.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to resist the urge for a once in a lifetime thing like this. It's not probably smart or responsible, but I don't blame them...We'd all be so freaking jacked up it would be a trip!!!

....and so the relentless decay of the wild for people to get a 'rush' continues....

From what they posted the sharks circled the rig for a while. There was absolutely no need to 'hold on' in order to get pictures or to get "jacked up" by the experience. Personally I'd be even more "jacked up" if I was able to behave in a way that the sharks volunarily approached me, instead of imitating a remora.

Fine, I'm a fuddy duddy. Just keep your noisy, stinking 4-wheelers off my property and you'll be okay...

If that whale shark dies because of that amount of human contact, it was in serious trouble long before the encounter.

So, your only yardstick of whether it was right to do is if something dies as a direct consequence? Hmmm. Guess you're okay with chum-the-water shark dives, fish feeding, collecting "dead" coral and shells, etc etc. I mean, nothing dies as a direct consequence of one feeding, chumming, and the like. Longer term behavioral changes or acruing damages are just someone else's problem?

I understand this was probably a 'once in a lifetime' type event to happen to those present, and judgement can fall by the wayside when excitement reigns. I wouldn't have tried to speargun anyone for grabbing hold. But I don't like seeing it, and hope to he** if ever put in that position myself I would act differently.

I also understand no diving is truly "zero impact" - dive boat to get you there runs diesel or gas engines, emits noise; lights used at night can inadverdantly flush prey out and spotlight it for predators; even bubbles flowing along a coral wall can do some damage regardless of whether a diver is cautious to watch trim and buoyancy to not make bodily contact. Guess you and I just draw the line about what impacts we can (and should) prevent a bit differently.

That was a very polite way of calling me a non-tree hugging, selfish pig. Kudos!

Awesome....nice pics....thanks you for sharing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom