Whale shark slaughter-tingloy,batangas (near anilao)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xariatay,

Yes that Philippine event was a criminal act that I really would hope the offending 'fishermen' are eventually caught for, and publicly made known - but as we know that singular Whale shark murder it is not a unique event, similar fining is going on day after day offshore, with collection and distribution of fins going on through several countries - and all so that people can see 'shark fin' soup on the menu.

The petitions and facebook pages are a great show of support, but it is also up to individuals in Asia to refuse to use restaurants serving shark fin soup and encourage others to do the same ~ even if it is a friends wedding, and make it known publicly why !

There are still suppliers of sharks fins blatantly advertising throught the internet, and along with the restaurants, those suppliers need black listing for example in Singapore WEALTHY SEAFOOD PRODUCT AND ENTERPRISE | Food Products, Organic Product, Frozen Foods Items | 88DB Singapore

Get your name on here .. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-live-shark-finning-one-person-joined-one-shark-saved

cheers

Last edited:
Hello! Wantonmien, Thanks for telling me abt the petition, have signed & posted on my FB. :D I am proud to be known among my family & friends to refuse to attend wedding banquets that serve shark fin. Many of them know abt the plight of sharks but many choose to ignore the ugly truth, to conform to the "norm"... Guess people like us will just have to be insistent abt our stance & try to "educate" them more.
Yes, Singapore like Taiwan & HK are BIG Time offenders in the shark fin industry... Ashamed to say this but the S'pore govt is one of those (inc japan, Indonesia etc) which have voted against protection for hammerhead sharks etc in the most recent CITES mtg @ Doha... :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead: Can read abt our govt's reply here Causes on Facebook | Bulletin: Reply from the Ministry Regarding Sin...
Sorry to be ranting here... I'll contact u via PM...

Money has no morals. I am sure nothing will be done.

reading this thread makes my furious. I'm getting fed up with the Chinese!! All of them!! And that is not fair since probably not all of them eat shark fin soup, and some probably also try to advocate for stopping this idiotic tradition. But right now: I am fed up with what for me is an ignorant, arrogant, mindless stupid people and country. Sorry, but that is just how I feel.

And lets be honest; everybody knows this, but nobody dears to speak out afraid of loosing business: Many divers from China interact way too much with the marine life. They show no respect at all and behave like freaking &)"#¤%&/(S under water!!

Martin.. that's a bit over the top no?

How would you feel if someone was to say all Norwegians are ignorant, arrogant, mindless and stupid because of your whaling? Similar to me if i was to be called the same because of Canada's seal hunt. I would think you would have a bad reaction to that and I am sure you will see a reaction to your statement here.

I know you are upset and the whale shark story is disgusting but to paint a whole nation with a single brush is a bit much.

Pretty lame post MartinNorway. Really lame.

I knows its lame. Certainly at this forum, since everyone here, regardless nationality are equally upset over this. And Yes, I can see the similarity of generalizing Norwegians with whale hunting... but I just got very very upset, I have never seen pictures like this, and I cant get away from the thought that if the chinese stopped demanding this stupid soup, our sharks would be less endangered... sorry.

Money has no morals. I am sure nothing will be done.

I promoted a petition two years ago to see more no-fishing zones in Hong Kong. Your own location, I note.

Here's what I got from a bloke about as amusing as you.

Garrobo:
Uh-huh. I'm sure that the Chinese will honor anything that the WWF petitions them to do. What a laffer.

Here was my reply: -

Hammerhead:
So, because you believe it may be a lost cause, the rest of us should do nothing? That right?

Sorry mate, I'll keep hoping and trying to find a few like-minded people.

His reply?

Garrobo:
OK Hammerhead. And I'll wait for Jesus to return and let's see which comes first.

A few people agreed with him, more with me, and the discussion got, um, agitated. To pour oil on the waters, I made my position clear: -

Hammerhead:
Please let's not let this get dragged down into the "Whine & Cheese" crap.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I have no idea who you are or where you're from. For the record, I live in Hong Kong, and have done so for 34 years. I have also travelled and worked in Mainland China extensively during this period. Have you?

In the last 10 years especially, China has - in my opinion - come on in leaps and bounds in terms of coming to grips with their own PR and how they are perceived globally.

This petition may well achieve the square root of ****-all, as no doubt 100 similar petions to Dubya Bush on subjects ranging from global warming, Alaska drilling, Iraq war, troop suicides and many others also have. And that's in a "democracy".

Should the US-based petitioners drop their pens, too?

Seeing as the above may appear that I'm having a pot-shot at American listers, I'll try to redress the balance with a quote from your very own Dale Carnegie: -

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”

I'll keep trying. I'll even protest on the streets when I care enough.

Where's my halo? Oh, there it is up top.

Four months later, I had the pleasure of posting the following: -

Hammerhead:
Well, I never.

Just got the following through from WWF Hong Kong: -

Dear supporters,

Following WWF's Save Our Seas (SOS) petition campaign urging for more protection for our marine environment, the Chief Executive announced in his Policy Address on 15 October that commercial fishing will be banned in all four marine parks in Hong Kong. You and the other 58,000 people who signed our SOS Petition earlier this year achieved this big milestone for marine conservation in Hong Kong with WWF!

The over 58,000 signatures delivered to the Chief Executive by our Chairman in June this year certainly had an impact on this outcome. Thank you again for your support. You have helped us turn what we have been fighting for since 2005 into reality!

This decision finally offers true protection for marine life within the parks as commercial fishing has been allowed in them since their establishment in July 1996. It also marks a big step forward towards WWF's goal of having 10% of local waters made no-take zones. Now Hong Kong residents will have a chance to see more and bigger fish filling our waters again. Within five years we should see noticeable increases in fish populations inside the parks if successfully managed, and if effort is reduced everywhere else me might start to see higher marine diversity in all our waters.

Going forward, we will continue to work with various government departments and stakeholder groups to have all commercial fishing boats licensed and catch quotas set, in order to stop uncontrolled fishing and materialise another objective of SOS. We need you to join forces with us to help stop the collapse of the marine ecosystem and develop sustainable fishery management. Stay tuned.

Yours truly,
WWF Hong Kong
I've never been right before, I don't know what to do.

Thanks to all that signed up, may this be the first step of many.

The last word on the subject belongs to Zeeman, addressing Garrobo, he asked...

Zeeman:
So, I'm guessing JC was a no show in your neighbourhood?

In summary, I'll sign the petition. Sometimes they don't work, but if we all approach the subject with an attitude like yours, they're definitely ****ed

bloody double post nonsense.

Last edited:
I am at a loss of words for this cruel act against such a beautiful creature.
To those who perpetrated this inexcusable act, Karma is a bitch and she's soon to be knocking at your front door!

Back
Top Bottom