Trip Report Mo'orea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trip Report Moorea Feb 13 to 25

My wife and I chose Tahiti/Moorea for our 3rd dive trip this winter. We settled on Moorea because we wanted to see shark species that we have not previously seen, and because French Polynesia has a reputation as a very beautiful location with friendly people. I booked the flight over on Delta using miles. We left Montana, connected in SLC, and then had to overnight in LA. We left the next day for Moorea. We exchanged currency in LAX, which turned out to be a mistake. The cost was high, and the hotel exchanged money for close to the exchange rate. I would not use the airport exchange again. The flight was 8.5 hours, and we had good service on the Delta 767-300. We arrived at 6:30 or so in the evening, and went to our hotel in Tahiti, the Le Tahiti Pearl. We were given an upgraded 2 story room with loads of space and 2 separate balconies looking over the ocean. There is a black sand beach just steps from the hotel and we enjoyed the location and amenities.

The next day we took a day tour of Tahiti in a 4x4. The tour takes you across the entire island, stopping to swim at different locations, looking at waterfalls, and a stop at a restaurant for lunch. It turned out to be a long day, and if we were to do it again I would have selected the 4 hour tour instead. The next day we caught the ferry to Moorea.

We had booked an overwater bungalow at the Manava Beach Resort. The property itself is very nice, with a nice pool, beach area, and a lagoon area you can snorkel in. You can check out snorkel gear, paddleboards, and kayaks if you wish. The Premium overwater bungalow was very nice, and plenty spacious for the two of us. We enjoyed seeing black tip sharks swim past and under the bungalow, as well as nurse sharks, a turtle, and loads of fish. There is a window in the floor with a light so you could watch the fish at night. There were families with kids there and they seemed to enjoy the resort as well.

It is a pretty expensive place, especially compared to other destinations and resorts we have visited. The overwater bungalow is listed at $900 per night, and we booked a week for around $750 per night. The food and drink were also expensive. When we checked in they said the bungalow wasn’t quite ready, and asked us to wait in the bar until it was complete. My wife and I each ordered 1 drink, and the bill was $44. The meals were expensive as well, and the service was painfully slow. We only ate 1 meal in the resort due to the slow service. We attempted to get drinks at the bar on two other occasions, but in both cases we waited over 20 minutes for a server to come by, and seeing none we left. The village of Maharepa is very quaint, and there are several good restaurants within walking distance of the resort. We ate at Ke’Iki twice, Carmel’in several times, Fanua Pizza, Rudy’s, and Moz Café. They were all excellent, with the lone exception being Moz Café, which was just ok. Rudy’s specialty is crab stuffed parrotfish, and it was delicious. Their chocolate mousse is one of the best I have ever eaten. There is a small grocery store there as well, and we shopped there several times. The pastries in the grocery store are surprisingly good, which makes me wonder if they got them from Carmel’in. Prices in Moorea are high for most everything. A six pack of beer in the store is approx. $18, to give a frame of reference. Most restaurants charged around $7 to $10 for a beer or glass of wine.

The huge positive to the resort, aside from the overwater bungalow, is the onsite dive operation, Moorea Blue Diving. They were very friendly and ran a top notch outfit. We were always in small groups, and one day we had 5 divers and 3 dive masters. The boats are nice, and we never felt rushed to get in, or rushed to end a dive. During the surface interval they provide hot tea, water, cookies, and dried fruit. We did 5 days of diving and enjoyed it immensely. The reef has lots of healthy coral with a large variety of fish. We enjoyed seeing a lot of species that we don’t get to see in the Caribbean. The reef in Cozumel is probably prettier, but we still really enjoyed all of the sites we visited.

We came for the sharks, and we were not disappointed. We saw lots of blacktips, white tips, one gray shark, one hammerhead, nurse sharks, and a glimpse of a lemon shark. We were hoping to see lemons and tiger sharks, but unfortunately the lemon was shy and kept his distance, and we did not see any tigers. The blacktips were very curious and would often come up to see you when you entered the water. In the video, the first sequence is of the gray shark, and at the end you can see the lemon swim by in the distance. The gray shark was much larger than the other sharks. The lemon was supposedly even larger, but because of the distance it didn’t appear as large.

There was also more turtles than I have ever seen. On every dive you would see so many turtles that I had to tell the DM to stop pointing them out. There were so many interesting fish species that I had not seen before. The Moorish Idol was one of our favorites, but they were very cautious and hard to photograph. It wasn’t as good for macro critters, but that may also be because we told them we were more interested in seeing sharks. Perhaps they didn’t take us to spots with smaller stuff? I would definitely go back to dive with Moorea Blue. They recommend we return in October when the whales are there, and we will probably look at doing so. I would probably just rent a beach house the next time though.

We took the ferry back to Tahiti on the last day. The flight home was on United 787, leaving at 10:30 pm, arriving in San Francisco around 8:45 am. We had a 5 hour layover, then the flight to Denver, and finally back home in Montana. It was a long day, but luckily we did get some sleep on the overnight from Tahiti. Overall it was a good trip, and we are glad we went.

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4174.jpg
    IMG_4174.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4187.jpg
    IMG_4187.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4188.jpg
    IMG_4188.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4189.jpg
    IMG_4189.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4202.jpg
    IMG_4202.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4206.jpg
    IMG_4206.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4213.jpg
    IMG_4213.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4217.jpg
    IMG_4217.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4218.jpg
    IMG_4218.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 57
  • _2210114.jpg
    _2210114.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 69
  • _2210115.jpg
    _2210115.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 56
  • _2210132.jpg
    _2210132.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4240.jpg
    IMG_4240.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4288.jpg
    IMG_4288.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 60
A few more shots.

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpg
    IMG_4364.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4428.jpg
    IMG_4428.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4435.jpg
    IMG_4435.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4436.jpg
    IMG_4436.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4482.jpg
    IMG_4482.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4506.jpg
    IMG_4506.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4579.jpg
    IMG_4579.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4610.jpg
    IMG_4610.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4624.jpg
    IMG_4624.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4630.jpg
    IMG_4630.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4645.jpg
    IMG_4645.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4662.jpg
    IMG_4662.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 54
Glad you had a good time, and posted a trip report for a destination I don't often see covered.

It is a pretty expensive place, especially compared to other destinations and resorts we have visited. The overwater bungalow is listed at $900 per night, and we booked a week for around $750 per night. The food and drink were also expensive. When we checked in they said the bungalow wasn’t quite ready, and asked us to wait in the bar until it was complete. My wife and I each ordered 1 drink, and the bill was $44. The meals were expensive as well, and the service was painfully slow.
Wow. That'd be a pass for me! Was that price strictly for accommodation, or did it include diving, topside excursion service or anything else useful?
Prices in Moorea are high for most everything.

I would definitely go back to dive with Moorea Blue. They recommend we return in October when the whales are there, and we will probably look at doing so. I would probably just rent a beach house the next time though.
And yet, despite all the alternative destination options, something about it draws you guys back. Sounds simpler to get to than Indonesia.

Wonder how overall trip costs (e.g.: accommodation, food, diving, airfare) compare to trips to Raja Ampat, Puerto Galera (Philippines), etc...?

Trip Report Moorea Feb 13 to 25

My wife and I chose Tahiti/Moorea for our 3rd dive trip this winter. We settled on Moorea because we wanted to see shark species that we have not previously seen, and because French Polynesia has a reputation as a very beautiful location with friendly people. I booked the flight over on Delta using miles. We left Montana, connected in SLC, and then had to overnight in LA. We left the next day for Moorea. We exchanged currency in LAX, which turned out to be a mistake. The cost was high, and the hotel exchanged money for close to the exchange rate. I would not use the airport exchange again. The flight was 8.5 hours, and we had good service on the Delta 767-300. We arrived at 6:30 or so in the evening, and went to our hotel in Tahiti, the Le Tahiti Pearl. We were given an upgraded 2 story room with loads of space and 2 separate balconies looking over the ocean. There is a black sand beach just steps from the hotel and we enjoyed the location and amenities.

The next day we took a day tour of Tahiti in a 4x4. The tour takes you across the entire island, stopping to swim at different locations, looking at waterfalls, and a stop at a restaurant for lunch. It turned out to be a long day, and if we were to do it again I would have selected the 4 hour tour instead. The next day we caught the ferry to Moorea.

We had booked an overwater bungalow at the Manava Beach Resort. The property itself is very nice, with a nice pool, beach area, and a lagoon area you can snorkel in. You can check out snorkel gear, paddleboards, and kayaks if you wish. The Premium overwater bungalow was very nice, and plenty spacious for the two of us. We enjoyed seeing black tip sharks swim past and under the bungalow, as well as nurse sharks, a turtle, and loads of fish. There is a window in the floor with a light so you could watch the fish at night. There were families with kids there and they seemed to enjoy the resort as well.

It is a pretty expensive place, especially compared to other destinations and resorts we have visited. The overwater bungalow is listed at $900 per night, and we booked a week for around $750 per night. The food and drink were also expensive. When we checked in they said the bungalow wasn’t quite ready, and asked us to wait in the bar until it was complete. My wife and I each ordered 1 drink, and the bill was $44. The meals were expensive as well, and the service was painfully slow. We only ate 1 meal in the resort due to the slow service. We attempted to get drinks at the bar on two other occasions, but in both cases we waited over 20 minutes for a server to come by, and seeing none we left. The village of Maharepa is very quaint, and there are several good restaurants within walking distance of the resort. We ate at Ke’Iki twice, Carmel’in several times, Fanua Pizza, Rudy’s, and Moz Café. They were all excellent, with the lone exception being Moz Café, which was just ok. Rudy’s specialty is crab stuffed parrotfish, and it was delicious. Their chocolate mousse is one of the best I have ever eaten. There is a small grocery store there as well, and we shopped there several times. The pastries in the grocery store are surprisingly good, which makes me wonder if they got them from Carmel’in. Prices in Moorea are high for most everything. A six pack of beer in the store is approx. $18, to give a frame of reference. Most restaurants charged around $7 to $10 for a beer or glass of wine.

The huge positive to the resort, aside from the overwater bungalow, is the onsite dive operation, Moorea Blue Diving. They were very friendly and ran a top notch outfit. We were always in small groups, and one day we had 5 divers and 3 dive masters. The boats are nice, and we never felt rushed to get in, or rushed to end a dive. During the surface interval they provide hot tea, water, cookies, and dried fruit. We did 5 days of diving and enjoyed it immensely. The reef has lots of healthy coral with a large variety of fish. We enjoyed seeing a lot of species that we don’t get to see in the Caribbean. The reef in Cozumel is probably prettier, but we still really enjoyed all of the sites we visited.

We came for the sharks, and we were not disappointed. We saw lots of blacktips, white tips, one gray shark, one hammerhead, nurse sharks, and a glimpse of a lemon shark. We were hoping to see lemons and tiger sharks, but unfortunately the lemon was shy and kept his distance, and we did not see any tigers. The blacktips were very curious and would often come up to see you when you entered the water. In the video, the first sequence is of the gray shark, and at the end you can see the lemon swim by in the distance. The gray shark was much larger than the other sharks. The lemon was supposedly even larger, but because of the distance it didn’t appear as large.

There was also more turtles than I have ever seen. On every dive you would see so many turtles that I had to tell the DM to stop pointing them out. There were so many interesting fish species that I had not seen before. The Moorish Idol was one of our favorites, but they were very cautious and hard to photograph. It wasn’t as good for macro critters, but that may also be because we told them we were more interested in seeing sharks. Perhaps they didn’t take us to spots with smaller stuff? I would definitely go back to dive with Moorea Blue. They recommend we return in October when the whales are there, and we will probably look at doing so. I would probably just rent a beach house the next time though.

We took the ferry back to Tahiti on the last day. The flight home was on United 787, leaving at 10:30 pm, arriving in San Francisco around 8:45 am. We had a 5 hour layover, then the flight to Denver, and finally back home in Montana. It was a long day, but luckily we did get some sleep on the overnight from Tahiti. Overall it was a good trip, and we are glad we went.

Everything in FP is expensive. I am glad I did it though.
Too bad on the lemons. For me they were the ones that closely approached. I did only see one turtle in two days diving in Moorea. The colorful fish and especially the Moorish idols are one thing I wish the Caribbean and Cozumel had.
Were you diving inside or outside the lagoon? The lemons and most sharks were outside. We did see two spotted eagle rays inside the lagoon and smaller stuff (pipefish).
I think Moorea is one of the picturesque islands especially around Cooks and opunohu bays.

The nightly price at Manava does not include any meals, drinks, or excursions. You are paying solely for the ability to sit on your deck and watch sharks swim by. Whenever you see an advert for FP they always show the overwater bungalows and crystal clear water, so now we have done it and can cross it off. Cost wise, the diving was $1200 for 10 2-tank dives. Moorea blue provides free equipment if you don't have your own. We considered leaving our gear at home to save on baggage, but in the end we brought everything anyway.

The airfare is more expensive than Mexico, but I was able to get seats using miles both ways. I have seen seats on United for as little as 35K miles each way for economy. We splurged this trip, but for 35K miles we may book economy next time. For us the trip to Tahiti is much faster and cheaper than going to Indonesia or the Phillippines. We still plan to go to those spots at some point, but it will have to be on a longer trip.

We dove outside the reef each day. Moorea Blue said FP banned shark feeding 2 years ago, so the lemons started retreating further away from the divers. One morning we saw two baby eagle rays and one juvenile blacktip in the hotel lagoon swimming under the bungalows. That was a nice surprise. Moorea and Tahiti are certainly two of the most beautiful islands I have ever seen. The island is much prettier than Cozumel because of the breathtaking mountains rising up out of the sea. We still prefer Cozumel because of the ease of travel, relatively inexpensive cost, and beautiful reefs. However, Moorea is amazing and the diving was certainly good. I have never seen so many sharks in one trip, and the variety of fish is pretty amazing.

We did the overwater bungalow for two nights. The food and drink prices kill the experience IMO. We ate at a few places off-resort and the prices were island-expensive but nothing like at the resort. I don't think it is so much a function of being in FP as much as being captive at the resort.

I don't know of any AIs in Tahiti or Moorea. Some have a breakfast plan but the cost was so high ($35 per person per day) that it wasn't worth it to us.

Yep, FP is expensive, but it’s like no place else and does keep drawing me back. That said, I think you can do it on a budget by staying at a private home or hostel. That‘s not the way I’ve gone and it was worth it to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom