• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Whale shark off Palm Beach

Discussion in 'Florida' started by MantaRey, Mar 27, 2007.

1. ONESPEED

ONESPEED ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    That was a good day Chris! One of my favorite dive memories to date. :cheers:

2. MantaRey

MantaRey Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    No pics it was a student dive. I work for the scuba club; we were the only ones who saw it. The average in west palm has been one whale shark every 3 years.

It was just a baby: 15' long and it was covered in a school of cobia. It was seen in 60' of water (the playground) just outside of the inlet.

Conditions in west palm as of this morning: 100' vis, 77F, pretty strong north current at drifting spot/mid reef.

Oh yeah we also saw a ginormous great hammerhead yesterday morning at the bluffs. Man it's been a good week. :-D

3. Rescue Diver68

Rescue Diver68 PADI Pro

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Dang, too bad it wasn't an underwater photographer class! I'm glad you got to see it. Thanks for sharing!

4. stangd1909

stangd1909 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199

Damnit LOL....you guys need to start getting some pics of these awesome events!

5. DMdoogie

DMdoogie Nassau Grouper

# of Dives:
    I saw them in Winter last year and the year before. The first was a 15 ft. baby, seen at Juno Ledge heading South. He took off before we could get close. The one last year was 25 ft., right off the Lake Worth inlet, also heading South. We got to swim along with him for a long time. Cool!

6. Crazy Fingers

Crazy Fingers Barracuda

What a dream. Diving with a whale shark, admiring its beauty, then shooting one of the 70 pound cobes following it. Ahhh...

7. baitedstorm

baitedstorm Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    With the exception of last year, there has been report of a single whale shark in Palm Beach for the last three years. I have yet to see it *cries* but my sources are solid (I worked a boat there for a few yrs). I wonder if whale sharks have travel patterns (anyone know?). It would be pretty cool to think it was the same shark each time.

BTW, LOVE the Scuba CLub's training pool!!!!

8. MantaRey

MantaRey Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Heh Our deep tank is definitely fun... Or intimidating depending on how you look at it apparently. I love it because we get to work out the student's buoyancy issues way before we hit the ocean which usually helps out a lot.

An answer to your question: Whale sharks swim to the caribbean. They come close to Palm Beach because of the plankton-rich gulfstream. But even though they are so big; they are so few and far between that you stand a slim chance of seeing them.