Whale shark diving in Placencia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotfisch

Registered
Reaction score
I need recommendations for whale sharks divng in Placencia. I prefer all inclusive package -- resort/dive shop. Any suggestions? I'm a very experienced diver and prefer a place that is not too rustic!

I need recommendations for whale sharks divng in Placencia. I prefer all inclusive package -- resort/dive shop. Any suggestions? I'm a very experienced diver and prefer a place that is not too rustic!

There are a lot of really neat local restaurants in Placencia and some excellent restaurants up the peninsula. People who have come here on all inclusives usually wish they had not come on all inclusives and eat only some of their meals at the all inclusive hotel. There is a lot of accomodation that is "not too rustic" - are you looking for budget, mid-range or luxury accommodation?
Regards
Ralph

After much deliberation, chose this resort on an atoll for proximity to reef and whale sharks (we HOPE!), timed for the March full moon. Looks like a comfortable, not too rustic, place to be for our 10-day stay, although there is NO access to anything else. Hopefully diving and more diving, with some kayaking, fishing?, loafing thrown in won't lead to "rock fever" in that length of time. :confined: Would hate to hate my only dive buddy! Good luck, and submit a travel report.

After much deliberation, chose this resort on an atoll for proximity to reef and whale sharks (we HOPE!), timed for the March full moon. Looks like a comfortable, not too rustic, place to be for our 10-day stay, although there is NO access to anything else. Hopefully diving and more diving, with some kayaking, fishing?, loafing thrown in won't lead to "rock fever" in that length of time. :confined: Would hate to hate my only dive buddy! Good luck, and submit a travel report.

I have decided to wait until next year but I've heard about Marisol from a dive boat captain in Palm Beach. He raved about it. I will be interested in your experience there.

The Whale Sharks are found at Gladden Spit, a boat ride down from Isla Marisol. Maybe 15? mi south. You can see it on the map here - http://ambergriscaye.com/maps/art/Belize_Dive_Mapsm.jpg

Isla Marisol is on the SE side of Glovers. See the four cayes? - afaik it's on one of them. Follow the red line straight down and it runs into Gladden Spit - straight out from Placencia.

My friends dove with Splash Dive out of Placencia last year. I think they said they saw 8 whale sharks over 2 trips.

My group of friends had planned a group trip a couple years ago - before it fell apart Isla Marisol was on our short list also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom