Whale diving in Southern California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EANx

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
New to the area and wondering if swimming/diving with blue whales is a thing here in Southern California/San Diego?

If so, any leads to who offers such trips?

:shark1:

New to the area and wondering if swimming/diving with blue whales is a thing here in Southern California/San Diego?
If so, any leads to who offers such trips? :shark1:

I get the impression blue whales are pretty elusive. The migrating gray whales are the popular (and easy to find) ones between January and March. Those are the whales that the "whale watching" trips watch.

But even if it was legal (which, as Max pointed out, it's not) the water depth drops off dramatically, a couple thousand feet, just a couple miles from shore. I believe most whale watching tours find the whales in this deeper water... which would make for a pretty hazardous dive.

However... keep an eye out for the gray whales when you're doing any regular diving along the So Cal coast in Jan-Mar. A few years ago we were just finishing a dive off Point Loma (San Diego area), just got back on the boat, when a juvenile gray whale cruised past about 30 feet from our stern... right where we had been diving a few minutes before. I'm sure momma whale was a little further out in deeper water.

It’s illegal in the US to harass marine mammals. It isn’t illegal to be diving in the same ocean as marine mammals. In between those two points, they are shades of gray. But no one who wants to stay in business is going to try to drop you right next to a whale, the way they do in some countries.

Reactions: Doc

Back
Top Bottom