Whale Attacks Snorkler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is another rule that no one has mentioned that is as important as not getting too near the baby when the mother is around --don't wake things that are awake unless you want to see how they act when they are startled. That applies to all animals and especially to my son.

I am also going to go out on a limb...and take heat for it. I thought this board was for people to learn from and analyze accidents and incidents. I agree with what has been said in terms of the whale was obviously trying to protect her calf and we have something to learn from that, i.e don't get so close.

However I don't think this board is for people to call others names and be rude and beligerent, no one needs to be told how stupid they are...I think it is unfortunate that some poster feel it necessary to use these sorts of things to get their point across. No on learns from being belittled...

citydiver:
I am also going to go out on a limb...and take heat for it. I thought this board was for people to learn from and analyze accidents and incidents. I agree with what has been said in terms of the whale was obviously trying to protect her calf and we have something to learn from that, i.e don't get so close.

However I don't think this board is for people to call others names and be rude and beligerent, no one needs to be told how stupid they are...I think it is unfortunate that some poster feel it necessary to use these sorts of things to get their point across. No on learns from being belittled...
Thanks, you're right. I shouldn't have.

I apologize in advance for posting a NON SCUBA related image, but we could all learn from this.

This is what happens when we mess with animals. This dog wanted to play with a porcupine, I guess he should had let it sleep. Look don't touch, take only pictures, leave only bubbles.

dog2.jpg

dog1.jpg

Cheers :D

Mike

Did the poor dog survive?

citydiver:

Well, my post was pretty negative, but my main gripe was not so much with the divers but with the way the incident was portrayed in the press. Yeah, sure, the divers should not have allowed themselves to drift into the whales, but hey, the guy got a broken leg for chrissakes!

But it's no wonder that the world is as messed up as it is when the state of journalism is so bad. How can we make decisions when the information we have is so bad? How can we participate in a dynamic, vibrant society when our view of the world is colored by idiots? Why do we continue to allow these idiots to control our media?

I agree with you that it's not good to belittle people. But I disagree with one other point; some people do need to be told how stupid they are, or at least they should be told when they have done something stupid. The reporters presented the story as if these people had just done something any reasonable person would do, they only had a minor "oops". I see it differently. I think the stories should have made more of an effort to point out what they did wrong, and WHY. They missed another opportunity to educate people about these whales, why we are fascinated by them, why they are important to us, and what we can do to impede their inevitable demise.

I agree with you 100%! Thus my nonstop effort to share with people what is realy going on in Iraq. The media is nothing more than entertainment, it reports what it wants to get ratings and get people it supports elected. Reporting the facts went away long ago.

Mike Edmonston:
I apologize in advance for posting a NON SCUBA related image, but we could all learn from this.

This is what happens when we mess with animals. This dog wanted to play with a porcupine, I guess he should had let it sleep. Look don't touch, take only pictures, leave only bubbles.

dog2.jpg

dog1.jpg

Cheers :D

Mike

These photos are really disturbing... I must know if the dog made it...

The dog was fine, the porcupine was naked and cold.:11:

Cheers:D

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom