Whale Attacks Snorkler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Desert_Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This falls under the catagory of "When you see a grizzly cub and his momma, don't touch either one". The victim, whose name I have asterisked (if that's a real word) is a LDS owner in the Salt Lake Valley.

The story is quoted from the local ABC affiliate, Channel 4 TV.

A whale of a tale out of Draper as R******T******, his wife G*** and 16 of their best friends are on a whale-watching expedition off the northern coast of the Dominican Republic.
For a week the group was snorkeling with the North Atlantic Humpback whale. On the last day of the trip the group is back in the water. "We were observing them," said R******T*******. "We had gotten extremely close, closer than we had been all week."
A humpback and her calf are sleeping. Since breathing is a learned activity for young humpbacks, the calf is sleeping on top of the mother. Periodically she rises to the surface so she and her baby can get air. T******** and the group are accidentally pushed by the current on top of the emerging whales.
"It surfaced right underneath us," T****** said, "I kind of put my hands out to keep if from knocking us, and the calf got spooked. It startled the mother and all hell broke loose." Thornton said the massive mammal whipped her tail. "My wife G**** was shot about 20 feet away, the woman on the other side of her was knocked unconscious. It was like a big whirlwind of water and people where scattered all over the place."
T******* said he was also hit. "The mother whale, I think, flipped me with its tail and broke my femur in my leg. At first I thought it was gone because I had no feeling in the leg."
T******* had survived the attack, but he and his group were nine and a half hours away from a hospital. The boat's captain started the long journey to the Dominican Republic. "It was a pretty grueling ride, you can imagine nine and a half hours slamming up and down, laying on a metal deck." He did finally make it to the hospital, then home to Utah. He said once he's fully recovered, it's back in the water with the whales again. "Absolutely! I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was one of those life-changing things!"

----------------------story ends-------------------------------------------

Additional details. After the 9 to 10 boat ride to land, the Dominican doctor didn't have a general anesthetic. So the doc used a local. The victim got to watch the orthopedic surgery. The doctor also didn't have orthopedic tools so used a regular metal hack saw to repair the femur.

Art

Incredible story!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Just a reminder how powerful those magnificent creatures are!!!

We were doing a dive in Rainbow River, Florida when one of the guys (an instructor) waved us over to the side of the river. He was standing there looking at an Alligator Snapper turtle. It was lying in about three feet of water and not bothering anyone. This creature was almost the size of a coffee table.

The guy who called us over decided that he was going to mess with it. By that time, the shop owner showed up and told him that that turtle can rip your leg off like it is nothing and that it has absolutely no natural enemies in this river.

We noticed that even the baby turtles there will chomp down on your finger if you poke at them. We found one hanging onto a blade of grass and swaying in the current. Someone pulled a glove way foreward on their finger and pointed it at the cute little bugger. It was a bugger to get it off the golve too.

I tend to leave our aquatic friends alone.

Desert_Diver:
"We had gotten extremely close, closer than we had been all week."

T******** and the group are accidentally pushed by the current on top of the emerging whales.

"It surfaced right underneath us," T****** said, "I kind of put my hands out to keep if from knocking us, and the calf got spooked. It startled the mother and all hell broke loose." Thornton said the massive mammal whipped her tail.

that's not an attack. that's not having enough sense to stay away from a mother whale and her calf while they're sleeping

in case anybody here doesn't know, mothers in the wild do not like you coming around them and their babies, especially by surprise (i.e. like when they are asleep)

the gentlest of animals will perceive this as a threat to their baby and will take violent action to protect them

ianr33:
As the whale used its tail it was probably deliberate.

i agree. the mother whale was suddenly startled awake by her calf freaking out, and there are these creatures there next to her

what would you have done?

ianr33:
As the whale used its tail it was probably deliberate. If it had used a fin then this would come into the "fluke accident" category.
:rofl3:

Willie

Sorry the guy was hurt, but I posted the story with video link on a humor board. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom