wetsuits?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thx for the advice, Pete and Chris!

I haven't yet started to look into wetsuits -- I thought I'd buy a prescription mask first -- but I thought it best to start researching before I actually need a suit and have the time to pick and choose wisely.

thanks again to everyone who replied.
I think this week I'll be down at the dive shop trying on the bare wetsuit. The vest idea sounds good too!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Well, I ended up buying my first cold water suit!
I got a 7mm Bare Alpine suit. It's a semi-dry with an attached hood. We'll see how it works. I should be getting it in about a week. Can't wait to go diving! (and hopefully not freeze!)

CSD1129:
Well, I ended up buying my first cold water suit!
I got a 7mm Bare Alpine suit. It's a semi-dry with an attached hood. We'll see how it works. I should be getting it in about a week. Can't wait to go diving! (and hopefully not freeze!)

Congratulations!!! :jump: Wellcome to the Bare club (LOL)

I'm starting to believe that Bare should pay as a commission (LOL) :D

Now, seriously, the Alpine is a very good wetsuit because it is extremely comfortable and fit perfectly, but is not the warmest, if you are going to dive in really cold water I absolutely recommend to get at least a 3mm thermalskin vest (with out hood) to use underwear.

FYI. We sell Bare wet and dry suites in the dive center I work. So believe me, under 12ºC you will be cold soon. (in 20 to 30 min)

I think Paula Paz is on the mark. You will still want a little something extra on the core and to mute the zipper. A warm water shortie would do the trick, worn under is my suggestion.

If you stick to modest NJ shore dives you may be fine as is.

Pete

Congrats on your suit purchase. I'll wait to hear how it goes. I dive Hyperstretch because of the comfort and ease of use. I wear a 7/5mm in the Caribbean because I'm cold natured too...I want to hear how it goes!!!
happy diving!

Thanks again guys.
I usually wear a skin underneath my wetsuit no matter what. I think that'll take care of the zipper. I guess I'll make a few dives without a vest (because I don't own one...yet) and see if I'm chilly. If I get cold I think I'll be looking int othe vest.
I'll be making a trip up to good ol' dutch springs quarry in PA soon to test out my suit.

ScubaDivaDivemaster - I'll post back after I use my suit. It'll be arriving in about a week.

I look forward to reading your report. I don't add a vest with my config, I just use a hyperstretch hood and that keeps a lot more heat in. When I layer, I put my shorty on the outside, that way it helps keep water (if water can get in there?) from coming in the zipper. Best of luck to you, I hate being cold! Fill us in on the Dutch Springs and NJ diving too...is it worth traveling from Dallas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom