wetsuits?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CSD1129

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey,
For the past 3 years I've been renting a drysuit everytime I dive locally. THis year, I have a chance to dive a lot more now that I can drive. renting drysuits are expensive and it doesn't really pay for me to buy a drysuit right now (I'm going to college next year and I'm applying to some schools in the south!)

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a good dry/semi-dry suit that will fight the cold up here in the northeast?
Thanks!
Christine

Hi Christine,

Have you tried diving in a well fit wetsuit? I know we all have our own tolerance for cold but many divers park the drysuits and go wet July though September here in Maine. Personally I go wet for about a month longer in each direction.

If you are not longged to be a long term cold water diver a goos cold water suit can still be valuable in many cold southern waters at the right times.

I'm partial to the Bare Arctic and the companion 7mm hooded steep-in shorty. This is wet gear.

Pete

I've been looking at the Bare wetsuit and I can't decide what to get! I kind of want a one piece because it's less bulky and will probably fit a bit better. I'm a pretty small person about 5'4 and barely over 100 pounds so I guess I get cold pretty quickly...not in the caribbean though!

CSD1129:
I've been looking at the Bare wetsuit and I can't decide what to get! I kind of want a one piece because it's less bulky and will probably fit a bit better. I'm a pretty small person about 5'4 and barely over 100 pounds so I guess I get cold pretty quickly...not in the caribbean though!

What matters is "fit". All the rest is secondary. The wetsuit that allows the least alound of water to circulate inside will keep you the warmest. If there is an spacebetween you and the suit that space will act like a pump as you move and cold water will circulate into the suit. So Bare might be a good brand (I think it is) but if it does not fit you you need to try one some more suits. Each company's suits will fit differently. You need to try on several. Here is So Cal. our water get ddown to only the low 50s. Most people use a full suit with a hooded vest under it. The full suit allows less water to circulate than a farmmer john/jame style suit and the vest under gives a full 10mm thckness sere it counts.

But don't let anyone recommend a brand of suit. How would anyone of us know what would fit you best?

ChrisA:
What matters is "fit". <snip>
Speaking of "fit", is it not true that most manufacturers will make you a custom wetsuit for not much more than an off-the-rack one?

I had never really thought about a *custom* wetsuit, but now that I'm certified and in the market to buy, my instructor highly recommended it.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
I do have to try all the wetsuits on...that Might be a project for next week! The last time I dove wet (besides in the sunny caribbean!) was for my check-out open water dives. The water temperature was a balmy 49 degrees and the rental wetsuit didn't do much!

The vest under a wetsuit seems like a good idea. I'll have to look into it!

Thanks again.
Christine

CSD1129:
Hey,
For the past 3 years I've been renting a drysuit everytime I dive locally. THis year, I have a chance to dive a lot more now that I can drive. renting drysuits are expensive and it doesn't really pay for me to buy a drysuit right now (I'm going to college next year and I'm applying to some schools in the south!)

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a good dry/semi-dry suit that will fight the cold up here in the northeast?
Thanks!
Christine

I'd not bother with a semi-dry. Semi-dry = semi-wet. A really good fit on a wetsuit will give you the same effect for much less money. Add a hooded vest so there is no trickle down your back which happens to thin people even in a custom wetsuit, and good gloves, and you're set for all but the coldest, longest dives.

Good luck.

I'm a dive master in very cold water in the South pacific (Chile), and i use, at least for the last 2 years, a Bare 7mm wetsuit with Glideskin and a 7mm SGS VEST, that can keep me warm for the first 30 min in 12ºc water.
I'm small too, an the 8 size fit me like a glove, even when i have a latin body (small waist and big bottom! LOL).
Good luck in your search

annasea:
Speaking of "fit", is it not true that most manufacturers will make you a custom wetsuit for not much more than an off-the-rack one?

I had never really thought about a *custom* wetsuit, but now that I'm certified and in the market to buy, my instructor highly recommended it.

If you are an off the rack gal than a stock size suit is the most economical and least risky avenue. You try it, it fits you pay and take it home. When going custom you don't know how great it will fit until it's made and delivered. If you can get it tailored locally that's great but not likely in Vancouver?

If an off the rack solution is not to be had then custom is the way to go. The price usually is in the same range as a top shelf stock suit.

Some brands such as Henderson will do factory alterations to stock suits as well as full up custom cuts.

Pete

annasea:

No, Most will NOT. There are a number of custom suit makers and you need to go with one of them. If you lived here in So. Calf. I'd say t look up "JMJ" they can do a custom 7mm suit for about $350 and quality off the rack 7mm suits go for about $200 locally. In less competitive markets the off the rack suits might cost more so maybe there the prices would be closer.

The other option is o buy an off the rack suit and have modifications done by the custom wetsuit shop. Somethig like shortening the legs or taking in a seam don't cost much

One advantage of full custom is that because the suit fits you perfectly they do not need to use "hyper stretch" neoprene and can use something rougher then will last longer and not compress

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom