Wetsuits... turns out, not so bad!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take home message: a properly fitting 7mm wetsuit + hooded vest can be warmer and more comfortable to dive than an ill-fitting leaky drysuit. I'm glad the OP has rekindled his interest in diving and now has a good dive buddy with whom to share the under water experience. Have a great time, you two! :D

FYI for when the OP gets a better fitting drysuit, inflater and exhaust valves are not super expensive and fairly easy to DIY replace. I'm curious, though. What kind of drysuit was the OP using? If he dropped 20 lbs. when transitioning back to a wetsuit, he probably was using a regular neoprene drysuit with very thick undergarments. No wonder he was so uncomfortable with drysuit diving (20 extra lbs., cold, wet, heavy). Also, the "too big in the feet" fit suggests that he may have purchased the suit used.

Must be an EXCEL wetsuit then....that's why I prefer beach diving wet.

Neal,

I also felt I would not dive wet again since going dry, I was wrong. I did an incredible dive at Avalon, Catalina Island, this past weekend.

I dove wet, a rented 7mm with just a hood. I was in the water 1 hour and felt warm and comfy. I didn't feel any drag and total freedom.

But you know what, the water was 60 degrees, so that might be one good reason the dive was so comfy.

Will I dive wet in Monterey? Probably not, because I have a really good drysuit that keeps me leak proof so far.

Do I miss wetsuit diving, yes total freedom to move around like a seal... But not the cold part of surface intervals or jumping back in the water when I'm warm and toasty...

MG

:)
Good deal. Glad to hear that you're reinvigorated to dive.

My advice is to marry the girl, as she sounds great and then register for quality drysuits as wedding gifts.

What a great idea:)!

You just can't argue with good advice...
:)

Congrats on passing your class! I look forward to seeing you around!

Take home message: a properly fitting 7mm wetsuit + hooded vest can be warmer and more comfortable to dive than an ill-fitting leaky drysuit. I'm glad the OP has rekindled his interest in diving and now has a good dive buddy with whom to share the under water experience. Have a great time, you two! :D

FYI for when the OP gets a better fitting drysuit, inflater and exhaust valves are not super expensive and fairly easy to DIY replace. I'm curious, though. What kind of drysuit was the OP using? If he dropped 20 lbs. when transitioning back to a wetsuit, he probably was using a regular neoprene drysuit with very thick undergarments. No wonder he was so uncomfortable with drysuit diving (20 extra lbs., cold, wet, heavy). Also, the "too big in the feet" fit suggests that he may have purchased the suit used.

Yeah, the suit was a used one. It fit me ok, but was never that great. I got it really cheap, then put a lot of work into it myself- seals, valves and some patches. It was a trilaminate and i needed a lot of insulation under it to keep warm. Lots of insulation= lots of lead. I cant believe how little i *actually* need in the wetsuit. Current plan is to dive this suit for a couple seasons to figure out *if* i even need a drysuit.

If that avatar is you and you're the girlfriend in question, he's toast. Just send me an invite to the festivities.

Yeah, i totally scored big on that one. She totally out-classes me

+1

Glad that you were able to make it out and have a couple of fantastic days of diving. 50 minute dive in 51 degree water, and still being warm is quite nice.

Please congratulate your GF on OW as well!

Yeah, it was great feeling so comfortable on the dive. The water temp doesnt concern me so much as the SI time though- but we just rolled down the top of the wetsuit, pulled on some ski-pants and a t-shirt and fleece and we were good. We also had a couple milk jugs full of warm water, but never felt the need to use them- maybe come winter though. But i think we are going to be fine, to be honest.

My buddies keep trying to talk me into a DS! I like being wet! Thanks for this post! :confined:

I often dive wet in the summer when it's really hot topside.

I know what you mean, I literally will often park the car in a way that the Sun doesn't hit me, while I don the drysuit.

One thing that I do while suiting up at Lobos is use the fresh water hose, it cools me down while I go through dive briefing.

Have you ever been through a dive briefing with a GUE diver? They are intense, almost feels like I am a recon diver for the Navy about to extract a foreign ambassador from deep enemy territory... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom