Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kylakediver

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing some quarry diving. My main question is about wetsuite. I am looking to buy a new one and i have no clue on what thinkness i souuld get. HELP me please

Depends on the quarry, depth, spring fed or run off, time of year. What type of suits have you been diving in the Ky lakes? I'm sure they would be fine for quarry diving.

The last time i was in my wetsuite was a few years ago. Most of the time when we do deep dives on laurel i would wear 1/4 inch. jacket and farmer john because that is what we had in rental at the shop. Do you think 3 mm would work

I hate it when my suite floods. It's usually only a problem on the 1st floor, but if storm surge is high enough it can happen on upper floors as well.

Oh, I'm sorry, you meant wetsuit.

Well; it depends on your cold tolerance. Right now in the shallows at most quarries, <25', a 3 mil is perfect. Once you drop below the thermoclines temps can range from mid 40's to mid 60's. For the colder water a dry suit, 7mm or farmer john would be best if your planning on any extended time in the colder temps. Hood and gloves are a must if you plan on staying below the thermoclines for any length of time.

Walter - I would suggest a rash guard for you until you can get a hold of FEMA.

Really does matter what (temps., depth), and when you dive (time of year). As you might already notice in diving there really is no one size fits all situations. If you dive only summer then a 3mm is probably the better fit. If you want to extend the time probably a 7mm. Most will tell you to just get a 5mm. I like to have the 3mm and remove some of the bulky neoprene when I can. I have a 7mm and a 3mm. Around here I could get by with just the 7mm and either:
1. get real warm in shallow warmer stuff
or
2. leave it off when diving shallow.
Good thing about #1 is you can usually dip down and cool off as long as your buddy knows the plan. :D
Downside to the 7mm I have to wear some extra lead.

Hope this helps.

I was thinking about doing some quarry diving. My main question is about wetsuite. I am looking to buy a new one and i have no clue on what thinkness i souuld get. HELP me please

Your a dive master with over a 1000 dives and you don't know what wetsuit you need?

Missed this thread until now. I'm a :dork2:

90% on my diving is in a quarry. I have a 3 mil shorty, 3mil jumpsuit, a 7mil farmer John, and now a drysuit. There is no right or wrong answer, it totally depends on the dive plan (depth and time) as to which suit is appropriate.

I do a lot of diving in Laurel Lake. thermalcline (proubly not spelled right) is around 23 foot. Cant stay there long with out freezing. Im thinking about a 5 mil jump suit with back zip. May be hitting the springs think a 5 mil would be to much??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom