wetsuit vs temperature question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While there are a lot of good points about the water temp, I think a huge factor is being overlooked here. The OP is questioning whether this would be an okay dive to solo. The simple fact that the OP is questioning this should indicate it's not.

The op is actually asking how well his suit will perform in cold water. The solo dive seems an after thought. The OPs concern is a hypothermia risk inferring that he's concerned about become incapacitated on a solo dive, which indicates to me that the OP hasn't very much experience with cold water. In cold water one gets really uncomfortable before incapacitating hypothermia sets in. Personally if I'm uncomfortable during a fun dive then I'm not having fun and I get out. OP, hypothermia is not a big risk as long as you listen to your body, don't push it. On the other hand if your not an experienced and regular solo diver then you should wait until conditions are better before starting to solo. I still think a little snorkeling in the cold water would tell you what you want to know, and as someone stated it may scratch your itch until conditions are warmer.

is it safe
does it make sense
in a worst case will it work
risk vs. benefit
i would say no due to the support needed for that type of diving. as a solo diver we must prepair to save ourself so a wet suit with thick gloves may delay your response to a problem when a dry suit with dry golves my be a better choice. also if the dive is worth making then its worth the money to have the rite gear and training. just my thought so if you dive it be safe only you can make the final dive no dive call
ps sorry for the spelling

The op is actually asking how well his suit will perform in cold water. The solo dive seems an after thought. The OPs concern is a hypothermia risk inferring that he's concerned about become incapacitated on a solo dive, which indicates to me that the OP hasn't very much experience with cold water. In cold water one gets really uncomfortable before incapacitating hypothermia sets in.

I agree with your last statement. Again, the fact that the OP is expressing concern about this is enough to tell me a solo dive is not indicated.

I will not tell you when you should attempt this yourself (your call) but I will relate a similar experience of my own.

In the fall I sometimes ocean snorkel late into the season (thin wetsuit) in a particular isolated locale and I wondered how I should cope with the possible debilitating effects of hypothermia. I have a fairly high threshold for that kind of discomfort so I was not willing to trust "how I felt" to indicate when hypothermia was setting in/effecting my judgement. What I did initially was to set a hard cap on my time snorkelling (initially 1/2hr) and forced myself to exit even if I felt ok. Even then, although I felt ok in the water I was quite "wobbly" and wiped out on shore.

In general though, a 14mm core WS in 44*F water is not considered extreme out here on the leftcoast for single tank rec dives.

One of my professors in college dove Antarctica in a 13mm wetsuit. I wouldn't recommend it today! However, I would think your exposure protection would suffice to 44 F. I've dived a 7mm and 3mm hooded vest to 48 F. Of course I don't know how much "natural" bioprene you have to add warmth.

Hey Folks,

thanks a lot for your comments, just decided that I will wait till the weekend - its warming up slowly but steady and the forecast is warm and sunny!

I solo'd the lake before, its low risk and I am carrying redundant air sources etc, but that was late in the summer last year, so this is the first time in the spring in that locale, thus my wetsuit question - I will probably be fine.

Cheers

Chris

Happy to report that I had a fantastic dive today, water was 40F (about 6C), and I was warm and cozy most of the dive!

Thanks, you are right. I am from europe originally, so I think in metric units and celsius. Just trying to accommodate all the non metrics out there.

By the way, was out there again a couple of days ago, this time with 70 min bottom time (its not very deep). Hands were a bit cool at the end, but in general fine. So to conclude this thread:

Thanks everyone for responses, the learning is that 7mm+hooded vest+gloves works fine in 40F water (at least for me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom