Wetsuit stretch - what does it mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WanderLust68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm having a difficult time finding a wetsuit that fits all my dimensions. I'm 5' 11", husky/stocky build and so I can either find something that is too long with the right core measurements or just right, but too small in the chest/waist dimensions.

I keep seeing suits advertised with 75%-200%-250% stretch capability. What does that actually do for the measurements of a suit?

If a suit is advertised as having a 46" chest and 200% stretch...does that mean it could comfortably accommodate up to a 48" chest or does the stretch capability more pertain to the wearer's ability to twist/move more easily, or wear a vest or lavacore more comfortably?

…If a suit is advertised as having a 46" chest and 200% stretch...does that mean it could comfortably accommodate up to a 48" chest or does the stretch capability more pertain to the wearer's ability to twist/move more easily, or wear a vest or lavacore more comfortably?

Definitely not, especially around the chest and neck where breathing can be compromised. I might consider an inch of tolerance. I also have body proportions that are far from the 50 percentile. Spend a little extra on a custom unless all you need is a dive skin for tropical water.

You want to try to match your weight to the size chart. If the arms or legs are a little long, that is generally a minor problem. Of course there is a limit to stretch and what fits well enough. What is your weight?

looking over my measurements, I'm kinda barrel shaped..5' 11", 48" chest, 46" waist, 28" inseam, 240 lbs

I've tried a 3xl Henderson which ended up being too long in arms and legs, too roomy on the inside. Also tried a Pinnacle, again a bit long in the arms and legs but torso was way too short.

I'm going to try a BARE elastek and another Pinnacle, someone who had similar measurements to me had suggested an AquaLung...may give that a try as well.

looking over my measurements, I'm kinda barrel shaped..5' 11", 48" chest, 46" waist, 28" inseam, 240 lbs

I've tried a 3xl Henderson which ended up being too long in arms and legs, too roomy on the inside. Also tried a Pinnacle, again a bit long in the arms and legs but torso was way too short.

I'm going to try a BARE elastek and another Pinnacle, someone who had similar measurements to me had suggested an AquaLung...may give that a try as well.

You might consider also Waterproof, they have variants with the sizes (L regular, L extra wide, L extra tall, ...).
For a (semidry) wetsuit to keep you warm I learnt it has to fit rather tight and you can't rely on the vendors' published size charts. Always try it on in the shop. When I bought my W4, after trying on a few, in the end I bought it two sizes smaller than what the size chart in the internet suggested.

I'm pretty similar in size - actually, I'm a little bigger (~50~ chest, and about 40 lbs heavier). I wear a 2xl Henderson Titanium (the older hyperstretch).

IMO, "a little tight" trying it on will turn into "feels fine" when you get in the water. They'll also stretch and sort of conform to your body after a few wearings. You definitely don't want baggy areas, since that will let water move, which equals "cold". Also, Adding a core warmer underneath does not (for me) adversely affect fit of the primary suit. If anything, it goes on easier.

Thickness matters. My 3mm certainly goes on easier than my 5mm. I wised up before torturing myself with a 7mm and went dry instead.

Very few people are exact sizes as the size charts are written. I've have yet to see an off-the-rack wetsuit in my size, jumbo shrimp. Though I've tried quite a few in the past 10 years. Nothing fits like a custom suit. My favorites are WetWear with the long EZon zippers on arms & legs and extra long diagonal zipper in the back that give you more wiggle room to get is around the "arounds" aka curvy parts. Their suits are comparably priced to some of the high end name brands.

i would give Henderson a try, either the Thermoprene or the Microprene 2

i think their size chart is the most extensive, seems they have your measurements in there, not to mention the TAILOR FIT option they offer

Size Chart | Special Fit Information

one quick note, Henderson confirmed their online size chart is incorrect regarding the 2XLS sizing....the height is 5-9 1/2 to 5-11 1/2...not the 6-2 to 6-4 it currently shows.

Back
Top Bottom