Wetsuit recommendations - multi-use wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 5 is a borderline suit for Dutch Springs. My wife and I used them for our classes and even in August and October it got cold. My recommendation would be to buy a cold water suit. A 7mm Farmer John or a semi-dry. Spend the money there. For a warm water wet suit, start hitting up surf shops on the NJ coast or in Florida. My godfather got his daughter either a 2 or 3mm shorty for $50 in the Keys. It's not name brand but who cares, it'll get the job done.

I bought both myself and my wife warm water suits from Breakers in Bethany Beach, DE after Labor Day. They were 50% off on name brand suits. Mine is O'Neil and hers is Billabong. I just got an 8/6 semi dry to use almost exclusively at Dutch and I am happy with it, but the farmer john style maybe warmer. Considering one for my wife to use at Dutch.

Well I think I'm going to buy a 4/3 or 3/2 suit and invest in a better 7mm suit or farmer john setup later on. I'll have to rent for one more summer if I do any dives here in NJ this summer.

Anyone know why in an online store listing the hyperflex cyclone 4/3 wetsuit is listed as "not for snorkeling or scuba diving." Some suits are listed as "surfing" wetsuits and are clearly designed for high-motion activities, but honestly, what is the difference? Would such a suit really be acceptable for diving?

Without knowing the suit in question 2 things come to mind.

1. It's a smooth skin material and will not stand up to the trapping and chafing of gear.

2. It's a very soft comfortable compliant neoprene and will have excessive compression. This will make for a cold diver and huge buoyancy swings.

Pete

Would a 5mm be too warm for diving in the keys in July? Obviously it's outside of the usual thickness range, but does anyone have any experience?

thanks again for all the advice

Scott

Warm is a relative term, everyone is different. I haven't been to the Keys in July but I've dove Panama City in August (they had the warmest waters the DM had seen in years) and been happy with the 5mm shorty for the first few dives. I had to switch to the whole 5mm suit after a couple days because I start getting cold faster as the dive week wears on.
Ber :lilbunny:

Pinnacle 7 mill cruiser is what I dive and love it.[200.00]Havent dove it above 72 degrees.I plan on testing it in Pompano and if too warm will switch to my old worn out Henderson 3 mill.for remaining dives.[125.00]

I guess I'll stay away from the suits designed for surfing/active watersports... Now I'm looking at the Akona 3mm full suit, anyone have any experience with this suit/brand?

When it comes time to buy a suit for cold water, the pinnacle cruiser does look like a great option for the price. I'm also considering spending a bit more on a 2piece like the pinnacle 5mm escape.

No need to stay away from a surfing suit for scuba. I use 2 of them and my wife snd her sister do as well. No problems. My surf suits work fine for diving.

I ended up buying the akona 3mm, should be here in a few weeks. something in my order was backordered...oh well. For those still shopping, the hyperflex cyclone seems to be feature-rich for the price, as does the akona which I purchased, we'll see when I get it though.

Back
Top Bottom