Wetsuit preheating? An idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebomb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
:doctor: Hey. I just got my open water cert. It will be getting cold here pretty soon in Alabamy and my dives may start to be limited. I've been racking my head trying to think of ways to get warm and I wondered if it would help to start off hot by heating some water on a campstove and pouring it into the wetsuit prior to getting in. You can tell...I'm desparate. Any comments?

First of all, if you have the means, get a drysuit. No more worries.

If the above is not possible, I've seen people do what you are saying, but that was with air temp ~45~50 and water temp ~60.
However, I've also heard that the warmth will dilate the capillaries, increasing bloodflow to the extremes and eventually result in more heat loss.

I know plenty of people who take a thermos with hot water for exactly that purpose and have done it myself too.
It's getting in a wet wetsuit where it really helps.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

divebomb once bubbled... :doctor: Hey. I just got my open water cert. It will be getting cold here pretty soon in Alabamy and my dives may start to be limited. I've been racking my head trying to think of ways to get warm and I wondered if it would help to start off hot by heating some water on a campstove and pouring it into the wetsuit prior to getting in. You can tell...I'm desparate. Any comments?
That is actually taught in some of the courses. The water doesn't need to be all that warm. On a boat trip, you can take a couple of thermos bottles of warm water.

A variation for when the water is cold, but the air is warm is to get into the water and then get out to give the wetsuit water a chance to warm up.

There are also electric heaters for wetsuits.

http://patcoinc.com/

Is to put the wet suit on dry, then have someone pour warm water inside it, down the bag. Supposed to help a lot. :huh:

I just put on more neoprene. :cold:

don

Hi divebomb.

My first eight years of Great Lakes Wreck diving was done in a wetsuit. & yes it was cold. & yes surface intervals are worse at this time of year.

If you are diving a lake this weekend it is possible that the water will be a decent temperature but the air will be cold. So make sure to bring appropriate warm clothing. & don't worry about being fashionable! Gloves, hat, warm coat - long if possible.

Tricks I've learned over the years:

1) If possible change between dives. Multiple bathing suits helped immensely early in the season.

2) Silver gloves &/or socks. I think hunters use them. Wear them under your neoprene gloves &/or boots. (I've tested this one multiple times!)

3) Warm water before and after a dive. If you are on a boat do the thermos thing. If you are diving from shore fill 2 liter pop bottles with warm water from the tap. No need to heat anything on a stove - it will be too hot! Fill a large cooler with several 2 liter bottles of water to cover multiple dives. & you can be nice to your buddy. You could have a wider mouthed container to put your hood and gloves in between dives.

4) Heat packs. I can't remember the name of them but you boil them ahead of time and they are ready. You put it on your chest under your wet suit and activate it just prior to entering the water.

5) Get out of the wind. If there is a pavillion you can always hang tarps to block the wind.

6) Think warm! Dry suit divers are going to tease you about them being warm. You just need to remember the dive isn't going to last all that long. & that you can call it if you get too cold. & that given more experience diving you may decide it is your thing and purchase a dry suit.

7) One last point if you will be lake diving is that the water is warmer in the Fall than it is in the Spring. Given you are in New York I'd think this is the case. The water could even be warmer when covered in ice than in the Spring. The ice will in effect trap the warm water under it. In the Spring the ice melts into the lake making the water colder.

Do have fun! Enjoy your new hobby. Don't let the cold get to you. But also remember sometimes it just is too darn cold to thoroughly enjoy yourself and it's ok to pass on a dive.

Paula

paulwlee once bubbled...
I've also heard that the warmth will dilate the capillaries, increasing bloodflow to the extremes and eventually result in more heat loss.

I've heard this too but don't put any faith in it. The capillaries close right down again when you are in the water. The members of our dive club used to routinely do winter dives in 35 degree water with 1/4 inch two piece wet suits (the old ones with high waist pants and beaver tail jackets rather than farmer johns and step in jackets).

A thermos of warm water in the suit just before the dive will defintely eliminate the shock of getting into the cold water and you certainly feel warmer so there is also a significant psychological boost. At a minimum your body does not have to warm the water in the suit.

The heat pack thing works well too. I have used the resuable gel pacs with the little metal disc in them. In case it's not obvious already, the hot packs with activated charcoal won't work as they require air for the reaction generating the heat.

Placing the heat packs over your kidneys seems to help the most as there is a large flow of warm blood close to the surface in this area.

This approach needs a couple of modifications with a semi dry (at least one with good seals) as the water pools in the suit and sort of sloshs around in the suit long after it gets cool. Not exactly comfortable. But you can warm the suit by pouring the water inside before you don it. Alternatively, depending on the type of seasl in the legs, you may be able to let out the excess water after a couple minutes and before starting the dive.

I appreciate all the advice from everyone. This is a great resource for a beginner such as myself. :guitar: Ya'll rock!

divebomb once bubbled... I appreciate all the advice from everyone. This is a great resource for a beginner such as myself. :guitar: Ya'll rock!
A good hood will also make a big difference. I've got a 7mm Henderson gold hood and it is pretty impressive.

Consider a hooded vest as well. Even my cheap one works out very well.

Ditto on in the hooded vest idea. It adds additonal insulation over your torso and creates a much longer path for any water that comes in the neck before it can contact your skin. They "feel" warmer in addition to being warmer.

Back
Top Bottom