Wetsuit needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blitzpb

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I will be in Maui and Oahu in a couple of weeks and we are wondering if we will need to bring suits with us. We dive Coastal Southern California (50-55 deg) so we have 7mm suits and I think that might be slight overkill for Hawaii!

Thank you,

Nick

Some dive 7s here, a few even dive dry. 3s seem to do it for most though.Im moving up to a 5 myself.

I'm sure you'll get better answers from some of the locals, but I have been very comfortable in a 3mm full in Hawaii. I dive dry at home, but used to be pretty comfortable in SoCal in a 7mm suit.

If you're not prone to cold, you could probably get away with a 3mm shortie, if you are prone to cold, you might want to think about a 3mm + a hood. Either way you'll definitely want some kind of exposure protection and I agree the 7mm is overkill unless you're really prone to freezing.

If you don't have a 3mm or 5mm suit to bring, just plan on renting one when you're here. The water will be around 77 degrees, so plan according to your own tolerance leve.

I dove a 3mil shorty yesterday ... brrr even with a hood on (drysuit was at home and the 5mil had an ant nest in it when I pulled it out of the truck ... yuck)

I was ok for 20 minutes, then got cold and by 45 min was shivering. btw it was 77° - wear what works for you...

Aloha, Tim

we're getting too used to the water Tim :wink:

There was a guy on the boat the other day and he was sweating bullets in his 3mm, went with a t-shirt and board shorts for the 2nd dive.

I would say a 3mm should work just fine for you

Hey just got back from Kona, Aloha, to all of my new Hawaiian friends. It was wonderful and 75 degs. at 45 feet (saw this on another divers comp.). I was in the water for hours every day. Although I was only able to free dive (sinus issues) I was comfortable in a rash guard top (for sun burn) and board shorts. Other divers were in full suits. My girlfriend bought a 3mil. shortie and was still cold while her seven year old was fine and mad at me for making her wear a shortie. Everybody seems to be different.

Carl,

Aloha...

I must be part Hawaiian then....I won't wear anything less than a 5mm full suit year around on Maui.

After our trip in April, my husband has finally agreed that he needs to have a little more warmth, so he's going with adding a vest to his 3mm full. I'm guessing he got cold for the first time since not only did we dive everyday, but we did two of Ed Robinson's 3-tank Adventure charters, and by that third dive he was feeling the 75 degree water. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom