Wetsuit layering and on-the-boat problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Katy K

In that case, you will probably be fine with some added layers, hood, and/or gloves. Part of the trick is to avoid getting a thermal deficit so don't wait until you feel cold on later dives. I would consider starting with the warmest configuration and reduce them if you are too warm in the water. I am in the habit of jumping over the side after donning the suit to avoid overheating on deck. It will make it much easier to tolerate adding the hood and gloves while you finish gearing up.

If you were getting cold by the end of the first dive at 70-90' I would suggest a drysuit. Thicker Neoprene at that depth would be of marginal value if you were getting cold that fast. Getting cold can ruin your dive. Different genders, body mass, muscle mass, age, depth, duration, and dive frequency are all part of the thermal protection equation estimate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom