Wetsuit layering and on-the-boat problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katy K

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there,
I have an upcoming trip planned and will be diving in with water temps in the low 70F's with air temps in the high 60F's. The coldest water I have had the opportunity to dive in was 78F with air temp in the 80Fs. I was cool/cold in my 5mm full suit and obviously overheating on the boat.
Would it be overkill to buy a 2mm wetsuit jacket for my trip (I already own a hood/gloves) to wear over my 5mm? The dive shop doesn't offer rentals beyond 5mm.
Also, any advice on staying warm between dives?
Thanks in advance!

I have an upcoming trip planned and will be diving in with water temps in the low 70F's with air temps in the high 60F's. The coldest water I have had the opportunity to dive in was 78F with air temp in the 80Fs. I was cool/cold in my 5mm full suit and obviously overheating on the boat.

You may not be happy at 70-74 if cool/cold at 78 F° in a 5mm suit is your baseline. Tell us more about when you weren't warm enough.
  • Only at depth and how deep?
  • Was there a thermocline?
  • Cold right away at depth or just at the end of the dive?
  • Only after several dives that day?
Layers are generally less efficient than one thicker layer, providing your sit fits well and you don't get "pumping".

I have worn my 5mm with a 3mm jacket over it along with hood and gloves. I also found that wearing 3mm socks with my 3mm booties keeps my feet warmer. It helps if your wetsuit seals snugly around your neck so little water gets in. You can pour warm water in your suit like guru boy suggested. After the dive, get out of your suit and dry off, put on warm clothes and a hat and a jacket that will block wind.

I have a very low tolerance for cold (I dive mostly Caribbean in a 5mm suit). I went diving in the Florida springs a couple of years ago - water temp 72 and the air was 58 - an unusually cold Florida winter. The first day I dove in my 5mm and boots but no hood and was pretty cold. The next day I used a 5mm hood and was fine. I was surprised by how much a hood makes a difference. One of my buddies used a hooded vest as suggested by tbone, and was also fine.

+1 on the hooded vest. A high percentage of lost body heat is from the head.

You may not be happy at 70-74 if cool/cold at 78 F° in a 5mm suit is your baseline. Tell us more about when you weren't warm enough.
  • Only at depth and how deep?
  • Was there a thermocline?
  • Cold right away at depth or just at the end of the dive?
  • Only after several dives that day?
Layers are generally less efficient than one thicker layer, providing your sit fits well and you don't get "pumping".

By my third and fourth day diving, the temperature became less tolerable.
- 70-90' within the first 20-30 minutes, then throughout both shallow second dives.
- There were thermoclines.
- First dive of each day was fine for the first 20-30 minutes, subsequent dives were cold throughout.

Though, I never tried my hood or gloves due to the ambient air temperature.

3rd vote for hooded vest and boat coat. And socks and gloves. I have wool socks if needed.

But we wear our vest under the wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom