Wetsuit for long dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nanook127

New
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a unique question. I am a volunteer at the local aquarium and have started diving in one of the larger tanks. The tank is 15 feet deep with 72 degree water. The kicker is we are in the water from 2-2.5 hours. Currently I have a dry suit (too warm) and full 7 mil farmer john (too warm). Any suggestions on what thickness of wetsuit to use? Thanks in advance.

My dry suit is a 7mil O'Neill neoprene

nanook127:
Currently I have a dry suit (too warm)

how could that be? can't you buy a ligther undergarment?

That's fairly warm water. I was out in 72 degree water today I had on just the 5mm top of my Farmer John and it felt great. Shorty legs with long sleeves. I tend to get cold easily as well, and this was just right.

Have you tried just wearing the top of your farmer? How does that feel?

nanook127:
Hello all,
I have a unique question. I am a volunteer at the local aquarium and have started diving in one of the larger tanks. The tank is 15 feet deep with 72 degree water. The kicker is we are in the water from 2-2.5 hours. Currently I have a dry suit (too warm) and full 7 mil farmer john (too warm). Any suggestions on what thickness of wetsuit to use? Thanks in advance.

With only 15 feet the suit will remain high in insulating value. How about a regular full suit, that will get you down to one layer, maybe a 5mm or even a 3mm. That will drop your weight requirement as well. With all of the stuff in a tank like that you probably want full coverage.

From there you can fine tune the comfort with a hood, hooded vest or beanie. A lot will depend on your activity level and your personal tolerance to heat loss. Anyway you slice it after that much time in the water there will be heat loss.

Pete

Diver's Supply sells a 7/5mil semi-dry. For about $189 it's a pretty good choice for waters in the 60-75 degree range.

nanook127:
Hello all,

Well, to give you an out of the box thought, try this: sell that Dry Suit and get a shell suit like a TLS 350. Then you can use any undergarments you want to fine tune it. You're very limited with a neo Dry Suit.

..just a thought.

I think Cali68 has the right idea for you. Get rid of the neoprene suit and get into a shell style drysuit, that way you can wear less under the suit in warm water and more under it in colder water. The suit wouldn't have any insulating qualities, so you can adjust how warm you are with what you wear under the suit.

wow, I dive a 3mm full from 70 degrees on up. Can't remember brand, but it was cheap. I love it really. Of course, 2.5 hours is a long time and you may want a 5mm. I couldn't imagine a 7mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom