Wetsuit and weights for Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been cold a lot, but I've only been too warm a few times. 7mm wetsuit at 82F was one. Another was in the drysuit with undergarments I use at 45F in water that was in the low 70Fs. I'd really err on the warm side of this one -- you can always flush some water through your suit.

I always enjoy your posts. But a 7 mil in 82F? Man, what were you thinking?

If you aren't one to get cold then bring your shortie and you should be fine. When I went water was 81 and I was diving with just a 3mm shortie. Even doing 3 dives a day I was ok. Look at the divemaster and had he had was a hooded chest piece. Some bigger guys and girls on the boat used nothing, some smaller girls were shivering in full suits (I assume 3mm). So just check what water temps are expected to be when you go, and trust your instincts.

I always enjoy your posts. But a 7 mil in 82F? Man, what were you thinking?

Indoor pool. Sounds less crazy like that though.
Honestly though, I find a 7mm very comfortable in 65F.

I spent my first 100 dives being incredibly cold and now I'm compensating.

i also think 3mm full is really ok for summer time. and in reality, just to avoid the coldness in between dive.
I even dove couple time just with a swimm suit and a t-shirt.
All the boat and facilities we used had weights

For the small flights between locations, no pb either. Main issue was for the international flights. I had a backpack with the BP, and everything which was heavy to make sure the check-in luggage were ok. And they were picky (CO) in these.

doublepost

Last edited:
I do have to say that you are seeing various answers here, which just proves what has been said about how personal choosing the right suit can be. Because I now do a lot of photo and video I always use a full suit, mostly for abrasion protection.

For temps about 78 and above I use a Microprene (1mm) or just a skins for temps of 82 and up. I sometimes pack a 3mm hooded vest as I often do 4-5 dives a day and/or night dives and can become not cold, but just uncomfortable. My other suit is a 5mm full suit which has about 20 dives in the lst 6 years. Needless to say I don't dive cold water or anywhere here at home. I go to the tropics.

For most people a 3mm full suit is very versatile for almost any diving in the tropics.

As for weights? You don't take weights. Every dive package includes tanks and weights. This brings up a little story. I did a group trip to Cozumel in January. One young woman, a new diver, didn't know any better and toted along 20# of lead. What's even funnier is that she was about 5'2" and a whole 90#.

and the water was warm enough that after i used my skin and shorty twice i stopped using my 3 shorty and just used my skin. Then after a couple more dives i stopped using my skin and dove bathing suit only. I was perfectly comfortable like that for 2 dives a day. For my night dives i did wear the skin, sea lice make me itchy and the skin helps with that.

i spent 2 weeks there and only used protection the first few days.

The water was super green and viz was horrible until we got under 50' then about 80-100 it was ok. They said the green water happens every year in June for 2 weeks and i was there 21 Aug to 3 Sept and it was still green. Anyone have any ideas why it;s still green 2.5 months longer than any other year that anyone i talked with there can ever recall.

maybe i need to lookup or start a diff thread for that. i AM curious why so green for so long. I've been diving 20 years and never seen anything like it. On shallow dives we practically had to hold hands to keep from getting separated. Those were not so nice. Oh, and it IS hot there. 93 in the shade -air temp.

Enjoy your trip when you go and have fun! If you get to Tom Owens Caye tell Polly and Laura and Christopher i say hello. They are some really awesome folks!!

Best fishes,
corey

I wear a 3/2mm full suit on all tropical dives. This is mostly for protection. I've seen some nasty stings/bites and often people don't know what got them.

You do not seem to have any options, so are you going to purchase something?

I have a 2mm shorty that I will bring and I am looking at buying a cheap ~$30 rash guard. I do have 5mm jacket and a 7mm farmer john, though I will leave that with the cold weather. I guess I have more of a concern now with being stung or sunburned than being cold.

-Hostage

The water isn't even close every year to what it's been this year. I posted this in the Marine Environment forum in June I believe. I've been diving here for the last 12 years and have never seen anything like this. Maybe it's got something to do with the big oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico last year?? But, it's finally clearing up a bit in the south. It's also been really hot this year.
Regarding wetsuits: Roatan Man nailed it.
It's warm enough to wear a thin shorty now but I wear a 1.5 full suit and hood this time of year for the added protection against stinging organisms. It'll be cooling off in month or so and I'll add a 3 mm hooded vest. Then I'll switch to a 3.5 full suit and hood. Once it gets into full "winter" here, I use the 3.5 with a 3 mm hooded vest. I mostly free dive but am in the water for 4-6 hours in aday. I'm a wimp though. I hate being cold.

The water was super green and viz was horrible until we got under 50' then about 80-100 it was ok. They said the green water happens every year in June for 2 weeks and i was there 21 Aug to 3 Sept and it was still green. Anyone have any ideas why it;s still green 2.5 months longer than any other year that anyone i talked with there can ever recall.

maybe i need to lookup or start a diff thread for that. i AM curious why so green for so long. I've been diving 20 years and never seen anything like it. On shallow dives we practically had to hold hands to keep from getting separated. Those were not so nice. Oh, and it IS hot there. 93 in the shade -air temp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom