wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n/t

hi liljo,

i know they don't have the same following on the board as the henderson's, but i love the BARE line of 'velocity' wetsuits. do yourself a favor and add this suit to your list of 'try-ons'

i have the 5 mil and the 3 mil version and can't say enough about the fit, durability, warmth and skin-in seals. each of these suits has been thru 3 liveaboards and another 50-75 dives a year x 2 years for the 3mil and a little over 1 year for the 5mil so far.

i am 5'1" and 145 lbs, and have what most would describe as curvy on the top and plump on the bottom "pear" shaped figure. i have the hardest time with street clothes... my hips measure for a 12 or 14, my waist an 8 and my chest a 10... one size does definitely not fit all...

the bare's are definitely cut for the more "pear" figure (as opposed to sea-quests and body gloves, which, in my experience seem to be more ideal for the taller, straight and apple types respectively). the bare line has what they call a "+" line starting at size 10 that is sized shorter and "rounder" if you will. just for reference, my size and wt. fit the 10+ perfectly and fit me well thru 16 lbs heavier and 4 lbs lighter than i am now (about 20 lbs from heaviest to lightest in the same suit).

to be fair, i have not tried the new 'much lauded' aquasuede hyperstretch hendersons, but these bare's stretch as much as my original 'first generation' hyperstretch and have been warmer and held up better with less compression, fading and tearing of the neoprene over time. (my original first generation hyperstretch was trashed, torn, thin and cold in about 8 months/100 dives, and i take really good care of my gear... just my opinion tho...)

hope this helps,
lorien :)

Pardon me, for chiming in the women's forum, but I watch this forum every so often in an attempt to gain more insight into this mystery called "women."

You might consider an Aquaflite custom suit from aquaflite.com.

Ed's customer service there cannot be beat, and I think you'll be surprised at the pricing. He also guarantees his seams forever.

I have two of his suits, my friends all dive aquaflite, and everyone is happy.

Tell 'im Allen from Dallas told you to call.

Hi

I also have a breast problem (34F or G depending on brand & cut), and have just spent the past six weeks trying on different suits. My problem is compounded with my height 178 cm / 5 10, small wait and voluptuous hips. Like clementyn I have a real problem clothes shopping and end up having to get almost everything altered (particularly the waiste) or tailor made. I read wonderful things about Henderson hyperstretch in scuba board, but I couldn’t find it in Europe. I didn’t want to order it over the net, for fear that it wouldn’t fit. After all, I don’t exactly fit into any of their size charts. Instead I tried on every wet suit I could find.

One of the best brands was Bare. It wasn’t too short like the majority of other well known brands. As clementyn mentioned it is designed for curves and the quality is excellent. Plus it came highly recommended from several people. For me European size 42 was fine on the hips, slightly too big at the waist, but unfortunately it was too tight and uncomfortable at the chest (it squashed me down so much I practically looked flat chested). However, a size 44 was Ok at the hips, huge at the waist, back, shoulders, arms etc, and was also too big at the chest.

At a boat show this past weekend, I astonishingly found myself a fantastic fitting 7mm three piece wet suit at a very affordable price. It’s called “Starsea Sub” which is daughter company of “Seac Sub” located on the Adriatic coast near Trieste Italy. Apparently they also manufacturer well know Italian brands in the same factory, but I forget which ones exactly, perhaps it’s Seac. This suit is the only suit that I’ve tried on that doesn’t hurt my breast, nor is it a struggle to put on despite the back zip.

I’m really happy about the wet suit because it’s not something I would feel comfortable buying on the net, since I couldn’t find a single comfortable model in the several shops that I visited, and I never fit size charts. This suit isn’t only by far the most comfortable I’ve tried, it’s also the most practical, the cheapest, plus it coincidently matches the rest of my diving equipment. Hurrah!

Here’s some info on both organisations. I can’t find Starsea’s web page, but I have found the one for Seac. My suit looks very much like theirs so it must be coming from the same factory.

Starsea srl
Via Strudthoff, 31/E
34015 Muggia, Trieste
Tel: +39 (40) 23 13 66
Fax:+39 (40) 23 13 66
E-Mail: starsea@inwind.it
http://www.seacsub.com/

Starsea is specialized in the designing and the supplying of underwater sports-and professional equipment (jackets, dispensers, watertight and damp diving suite made of neoprene and trilaminate, lifting balloons, underwater computers); Ascanio sole agent.

It makes sense to try on as many models as possible untill you find something that feels right. I was really beginning to think that I’d have to buy a tailor made suit, but in the end I was lucky. Hopefully you will be too. Happy shopping

Sylvie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom