Wetsuit advice for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edwants2dive

Glowstick
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I am going to be down the week of July 27 - Aug 3. I am "warm blooded" by nature. I was looking at getting a 1.5 - 2 mm shorty for the trip (excuse to buy one) but the owner of the LDS I am going with said I should take my 3mm full because of the roughness of the shore dive locations ( coral rock etc.) and I would want the protection of the legs in the suit if I slipped on the way in. I know personally that will have me over heated so I am hesitant to take that advice without a second (or multiple) opinions. So I ask you all to fire away with advice.

**I only have about 30 dives on Bonaire, so take my advice with a grain of salt...**

Figure out a system to walk in so you won't fall. I've seen some people use folding hiking poles, or use their buddy and kind of 'dance their way into and out of the water'.

If someone told me I'd need a wetsuit to protect myself from a injury due to falling I'd be very cautious about doing that dive... A fall in your full kit could be pretty nasty.

With that...
-Ask around and get advice on several 'easy entry dives'. They're not all challenging, and may be a good spot to start as you build your shore entry confidence.
-Once at the site it's pretty easy to spot the path everyone else used. Follow their lead, don't try to re-invent the wheel and find your own way in our out.
-As a new diver, don't try to find new dive sites... I did this, trying to enter between Andrea 1 and Andrea 2... It didn't work out well...

Lastly, do you have open heel fins, preferably with spring/ bungee straps, and good dive boots/ shoes?

I do have open heel fins and good dive boots. As far as the dive sites I will be going with the group which ever one they decide. We do have 18 people well 17 divers my wife doesn't dive but 3 vans so I guess I could go with the easy entry crowd lol.
Thanks

So I am going to be down the week of July 27 - Aug 3. I am "warm blooded" by nature. I was looking at getting a 1.5 - 2 mm shorty for the trip (excuse to buy one) but the owner of the LDS I am going with said I should take my 3mm full because of the roughness of the shore dive locations ( coral rock etc.) and I would want the protection of the legs in the suit if I slipped on the way in. I know personally that will have me over heated so I am hesitant to take that advice without a second (or multiple) opinions. So I ask you all to fire away with advice.
If too warm you can always let some water into suit at neck to fix problem. Once you are cold there is nothing you can do to fix problem. Full suit also can provide some buoyancy if an issue occurs and you need to float,shorty not as much, again protection from scrapes that can get easily infected, stings from anything in water that you may not even see. Multiple dives in a day, use full 3mm suit as thermal heat loss increases the more time spent in water.

I go to Bonaire every year, sometimes twice a year. I would highly recommend a full suit as your dive shop recommended. I have needed the knee pads more than a few times. It's pretty easy to fall even if there is no surf bc there are many holes that you just can't see when walking. It's not dangerous at all but it's easy to fall in shallow water. I recommend holding on to your buddy's elbow and balance each other. There are many reasons that a full suit would be beneficial. If you get hot, open it up a bit. I can't think of any benefits of a shorty. I am not a fan of shorties in general

I use a 3 mm full or even a 5/4 full because I'm sensitive to cold. But even if I were "warm blooded" like you, I would never wear a shorty in the Caribbean because I prefer to be more protected against stings from marine organisms. As for the idea that a full suit can protect you from scrapes during those Bonaire entries and exits, well, I have fallen, and I suppose the full suit helps. Some entries might have fire coral in the shallows, and even if I don't fall, the full suit might protect my ankles from brushes with it. Bottom line for me: full suit always.

I have 800 logged dives in Bonaire, spread over 32 visits in every month of the year except July. So, slome experience there!
Full body protection is a good idea, not just for falls but also for stingy things (that you often can't see) and sunburn.
Even a dive skin can help...of course, not so much with falls.
Front-zip 3mm full suits are available -- for example Henderson Thermoprene Pro 3mm Men's Jumpsuit, Front Zipper -- that would allow you to easily let some water in during the dive if you get over-heated. this might be a good compromise.
Absolutely critical -- as already mentioned -- are booties with heavy, thick soles. Common, flexible-bottom booties are not comfortable on the sharp-edged iron-shore.
Beware of "walking sticks" to help with entries; the Bonaire Marine Park does not permit them because people can misuse them while in the water. It is a better strategy to enter the water with your buddy, taking turns moving and standing still to act as a stable platform to hang onto.
Have fun!

My inexperience has shown! I know I'm in the minority, but I do love the feeling of diving in warm water, with just a rash guard on and swim shorts... it's the best (but the occasional sting does suck)...

if you're worried about it, get a thin fullsuit instead of a thin shorty. More protection without being that much warmer. I think a fullsuit is a better choice than a shorty for lots of reasons, almost anywhere. (When I see people wearing shorties in the tropics it is mostly rentals - easier to fit more people - but not so many people with their own.)

Back
Top Bottom