3mm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba fryd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi i am going on a trip to Egypt shagra next month and I was told it would be smart to take a 3 mm with me if I was going to dive alot doing the day since I could start to freeze after a couple of dives. I was looking at the waterproof w30 2.5mm or the aqualung hydroflex 3mm. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

I've got a O'Neil Reactor 2 3/2mm that I wear in Puget Sound in 56 degree water and it does fine, and was only about $100. Wetsuits in that thickness are well worth it.

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.
The one that fits you best.

Over the past three years I've started using WaterProof suits as they fit me better than other makes.

The W5 3.5mm suit is what I use when water temps are 27C and above.

I was told it would be smart to take a 3 mm with me
I agree that a 3mm suit is a good choice for Egypt; the diving there is great and hopefully you'll get to spend lots of time underwater!

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

My advice is that it's not about the brand - it's about the fit.

When shopping off-the-rack stock sized suits, check the manufacturer's size chart against your measurements and if any part is off by more than an inch, move on. You can try on a bunch of suits and pick the one that fits best, but this takes time and it's unlikely that you'll find an ideal fit because stock suits are cut for patterns, not your measurements. A custom-fit suit will offer the best fit.

Hope that helps and we're happy to answer any questions - 310-212-3040.

The one that fits you best.

Over the past three years I've started using WaterProof suits as they fit me better than other makes.

The W5 3.5mm suit is what I use when water temps are 27C and above.
Do you have the wpad to? Can't figure if it's good or not ?

Do you have the wpad to? Can't figure if it's good or not ?
I had to look that up, and yes I have the velcro sticky on pocket for that suit.

Personally I think their pockets on the W7 5mm and 7mm suits are much better and that they should have gone with that design on all of their wetsuits. Two integrated pockets are better than none, although the wpad holds more stuff.

I have been through a few 3mm at this point. My Scubapro Exerflex 3mm is easily my most comfortable, though not my warmest. My warmest by far is a Waterproof W3 3.5mm. Feels more like I'm wearing a 5mm.

The others I have used in the past and really like are the Bare Velocity and the Fourth Element Proteus. I really like the Bare for the size options, build quality, and price.

If I was in the market today I would look at the Bare. They make a lot of odd sizes so it's easier to find one that fits. Also can often be found cheaper than some of the other options in my experience.

I have been through a few 3mm at this point. My Scubapro Exerflex 3mm is easily my most comfortable, though not my warmest. My warmest by far is a Waterproof W3 3.5mm. Feels more like I'm wearing a 5mm.

The others I have used in the past and really like are the Bare Velocity and the Fourth Element Proteus. I really like the Bare for the size options, build quality, and price.

If I was in the market today I would look at the Bare. They make a lot of odd sizes so it's easier to find one that fits. Also can often be found cheaper than some of the other options in my experience.
I did finde a bare that looked good it's probably gonna be other a bare revel or a bare velocity. Any experience with those?

I will be in a minority here, but that's OK. The best kind of wetsuit is one that fits well and doesn't have zips or any other areas that can flush (i.e. a freediving suit). Nothing will be warmer or more comfortable. A 3mm suit in this style is way warmer than a typical 5mm "SCUBA" wetsuit. Downside is the open cell interior is easily damaged and lube is required to get the suit on. A halfway house is a freediving suit with a closed cell interior. Harder to track down, but worth it in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom